Craftsman shaft and key tips?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroArsenal

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Ok, so all day now i have been working on a Craftsman snow blower. If you know craftsman, you know they love pressed on pulley's and keys, so got the pulley off, but the key does not want to come out, hours of pb-blast, and tapping it as well as the shaft to try and shock it out, still no budge. Any one have any idea's or tricks on how to remove the key? I don't have any kind of pullers, have plenty of flat heads, punches, hammers and aerosols, tried the old needle nose, going to keep trying, but if anyone found a solution to this feel free to share it, I'm getting very frustrated with craftsman at the moment, been with mechanics for years now, and yet to have a key refuse to come out this much, bang bang this way, bang bang that way, this tool that tool, pb-blast, wb-40, tap tap, any ideas?..Thanks.. :)

I can snap some pictures as well if anyone cares to help me with this dang thing! :)

There's only one guaranteed solution that won't damage any parts with banging or heat.
Drill a hole close to the end of the key. When that's done you'll need to tap the hole, grind the end of the right size screw to a taper and thread it in. When it makes contact with the shaft, keep tightening it and it will lift the key up, effortlessly.
If you used that method first, you could be relaxing now. :D

I had thought about that, i was like why does craftsman not make a easy removal way for this, i was thinking a hole through the shaft, not so much that it is weak, but enough to pop it out with a punch or something, i relax while the pb-blast sits lmao, a new key is only a couple bucks, and if this one does not come out without damage, i will just order another, just a bummer where i just got parts in yesterday after a week of shipping and now I'm just stalling, ill get it out, but weather it will be one piece or not is the difference...Thanks for the idea, i will go to something along those lines next! :)

Back