Could you read my glow plug? See pics.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pontiac69

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Its running fine i just was curious with the green color. It is from my sons S Maxx. When running i kept checking on head temp and it was anywhere from 235-250. Temp outside is around 41. Seems to be running good.

I just installed the 4 wheel drive kit and it goes through everything now that it has 4 wheel drive. Thinking of the reverse kit now. Hell the 4 wheel drive kit and reverse kit are only 39 bucks each.

Attachments

• P3280146.JPG
    P3280146.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 112
  • P3280148.JPG
    P3280148.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
It's fuel with alot of oil content, and the green is also from fuel.....judging by those temps it may be a tad rich too.

So you think lean it out a smidge to get around 260 ish for temp.

260 is getting close to too hot isnt it???? 220-250 is high end that you want. so if you lean it to much you might end up with problems... But just my opinion...

what kind of fuel do you run in your rig????

260 is getting hot. Look to the fuel. I always use O'donnell. 220 is best for long life.

How old is it? it looks as though it has some sort of build up on it, right at the end of the coil. I would wager a guess and say it is a little lean and old, due to the gray look of the coil. If it was running rich and the plug was new, the coil should still be a shiny silver color.

Fuel is only about 2 months new. I keep it in the original container and sealed up real good. The fuel i use is Blue Thunder Sport Formula 20%. Bought at Hobby Town USA. The glow plug has about 2 tanks of fuel run time.

Attachments

• DYN2320-450.jpg
    DYN2320-450.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 74
I never had good luck with blue thunder, that plug looks fouled pretty bad for just two tanks. That was one thing I noticed with that fuel, it doesn't burn very clean and dyes the inside of the engine blue...

I believe it's partly the castor oil that makes it turn black, and yes, it could very well have been running lean. Fuel with high oil content can actually cause you to lean the motor too much.....This is because all that oil makes them seem like they're rich even though they aren't.

true I have ran traxxas fuel and monster trinity fuel both 20 percent and both run good for me...

My 2 cent= I believe the coloring is from what ever dye is in your fuel. ie traxxas fuels are dyed blue so this leaves a blue "stain" on internal engine parts. Byrons has a yellow dye that leaves yellow "stains" on internals. Odonells is a clean fuel (my opinion) that has less dye or staining.

I think that if your engine run good with blue thunder fuel than you running within a safe mixture. but maybe it is of lower quality than other available brands.

maybe i will go pick up some different fuel and see if there is any difference. so far i have about a gallon and a 1/2 of fuel run through the motor. the original plug only lasted a little over a gallon. how long should these plugs last. i guess thats hard to answer because it has to do with tuning. when i pick up different fuel, do i have to get the 20%?

I run Blue Thunder Race blend and like it. I've never tried the sport blend. I'd say if you're running good and temps like that,RUN IT! You other guys must have some big hi-res monitors or something,the pics of the plug aren't clear enough on my little monitor for an accurate reading.

20% nitro is fine, but 16% oil is too much IMO. I run 11 or 12% (oil) byron fuel in all my engines and it is noticeably better than a 16% oil mix. I know it sounds crazy, but nitro engines only need 8-10% oil content.....The oil is what makes that nice smoke you see coming out of the pipe.

Less oil = more methanol. Methanol, like any other type of alcohol, has a cooling effect when it's pumped through the line.....for a cooler, cleaner running, happier engine. The only downside is your tuning ability, it's less forgiving than higher oil fuels.

The green is definitely from the fuel. I ran that stuff a long time ago and turns the entire engine internals a blueish green.

If it's running good for you, then just keep running it.

Personally, I like byrons. Have tried many others, but it has worked the best for me.

Blue thunder is good stuff. Out of all the fuels my Hobby Town has, its the only one I run. If they had Trinity Monster Horsepower that would be the only one I run. Thats some awesome fuel. The color is from the fuel for sure.

As already said, if your temps are around 250 and its running good, leave it alone. You may have a plug last through 2 gallons and another only make it a half gallon.

As soon as I looked at the pic, I knew you were running Blue Thunder. I ran a lot of it through my Tmaxx, and the green, clean coating is also a sign that's it's running a good tune.

IM000200a.jpg

I later switched to Traxxas Top Fuel and the engine ran even better. Traxxas engines love traxxas fuel.

Thats funny you said that Rolex, i couldnt get any engine to run on Traxxas fuel (water)

I tuned a lot of engines at the track and started to wonder why the same trucks started to out run mine. Someone suggested that the only difference was the fuel we used, and filled me up with Top Fuel. 2 tanks later I had it tuned and ripping and went for a gallon.

I couldnt get them to start much less run...never touched it since then and never will again. Left the needles alone filled the tank with BT and it fired right up

Back