Could a golf ball body really make a difference?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetroKevin

Bashing is a way of life!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I remember years ago Mythbusters did a video on the golf ball effect on cars.

Funny enough, this came up on my youtube feed just now.

Do you think adding golf ball divots to a body of a RC could increase speed, jumping distance, and all around performance?

Do you think it would be legal in races and competitions?

Edit side note: can anyone identify the RC body displayed in this video?

Last edited:
Hey, this may help my rig from slicing to the right.. :p
Coming home from Boise this weekend, we drove parallel to a golf course and somebody smacked a ball and came bouncing across the road right in front of my truck.. :eek:

I think it would really depend on the car's body shape. Not sure what that body is. You would think they would have used a Volkswagen Golf body.

I believe the dimples are most effective because the ball is spinning. I think just adding divots is marginally effective at improving airstream.
A round ball will go fifty yards. Same weight and size ball with dimples will go straight and fly three hundred yards.

I dont think this style would fly past tech in any class of rc racing..isnt there a rule of no body modifications allowed... that looks like a rally car body not sure by who .. a mildly hot poker would do the indents. to me they look like more of a star pastern not a gold ball dimple.make 1 but have a non modified body if you get teched and they find a problem...had a body that my brother in law painted me that was a pit shell only had 23 colors in it was a xxxt mf chassis with a proline body back in early 2000

I have spent twelve years racing land speed motorcycles. In the one mile and at Bonneville ( racing for 2021 starts this month)

The subject of aerodynamics is very very complex and often counter intuitive. But in twelve years I have seen two people try the dimple fairing thing. They said is did nothing. That’s not scientific but what I have seen.

I believe the dimples are most effective because the ball is spinning. I think just adding divots is marginally effective at improving airstream.
A round ball will go fifty yards. Same weight and size ball with dimples will go straight and fly three hundred yards.
That reminds me... I am pretty sure I saw where the spinning is actually part of the whole aerodynamic thing. I would imagine if it were an effective aerodynamic tool the space vehicles they keep launching would use this. Maybe they should try building a rocket with a huge spinning golf ball for a nose 😜

Or build a spaceship that spins. Put it on a giant T platform. Then have a huge weight swing down and hit it in to space. You go first.

I think the point of the dimples is air. So space flight would not be a good use for dimples.

Anything that has fire spraying out and makes noise is fun. Except , I guess fireworks. They scare my dog.

Back