Correct Running Temperature - Hyper 21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CH3-NO2

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
The manual for my Hyper 21 engine states, "it is normal for the engine to run at 185 degrees."

Surely this is a tad too low..? I thought these engine should run more around the 210 mark.

Can anyone advise me on what temperture to aim for when tuning this engine?

Thanks in advance.

Ofna's tend to run hot. What I would do if I were you is tune for performance... There are plenty of how-tos on the site... and then take a temperature reading once it 'feels right'.

Good advice, HeartBreak. I'll give that a go.

I lean it out until I see no performance gain, while still seeing a nice trail of smoke.

I usually tune by ear.. It takes time and patience to learn the skill. It pretty much is like BustedGears said; just keep leaning it down a little at a time (literally... it doesn't take much) until the engine doesn't put out any more power, while still keeping good smoke.

Also, when I'm done for the day, I richen the high end needle up about 1/4 turn, simply because of day-to-day changes in the atmospheric conditions. Always better to retune from a richer setting than a leaner one.

Back