Controlling with only the right hand?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manderthal

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I walk with a cane in my left hand. Today I got to thinking that I could put a lot more miles on my truck if I could control it using my right hand.
Has anyone come up with a one handed, right handed controller or a special wheel for steering using the right index finger, thumb lever or some other method?
IMG_4182.jpg

1000014007.jpg
I've seen people use these. This is a example, I don't think it'll fit in anything else than the traxxas TQi

If you Google rc thumb steer you can find more options. But as far as having a right hand specific transmitter you could look at the flysky noble the steering wheel easily flips from one side to the other; but it’s $200. I think some other brands can be converted but that may be on some of the higher end models…

I walk with a cane in my left hand. Today I got to thinking that I could put a lot more miles on my truck if I could control it using my right hand.
Has anyone come up with a one handed, right handed controller or a special wheel for steering using the right index finger, thumb lever or some other method?View attachment 170832
I am new so can’t help. But I am trying to develop a way for a wheelchair bound RC hobbyist to control his cars without the use of hands at all. He uses mouth and lip switches as he is paralysed from the shoulders down.

kudos to you @adam platt , I would find a community college or even bigger school for that matter and see if any of them have a robotics course
and see if anyone would take on the challenge.
Our @DavidB1126 messed with some robotics in his high school so you never know.
It no doubt would probably require somebody more than just robotics but it's a start.

I am new so can’t help. But I am trying to develop a way for a wheelchair bound RC hobbyist to control his cars without the use of hands at all. He uses mouth and lip switches as he is paralysed from the shoulders down.
Check this out adam.

Last edited:
Our @DavidB1126 messed with some robotics in his high school so you never know.
We used a video game / Xbox like controller for our robot. Probably won't really help.

One of the guys at my local track that races, he used his normal adio to steer, and had a external pedal thing for the gas which looks cool.

@Manderthal
There is actually this
GoolRC Flysky Noble NB4 2.4GHz 4CH Radio Transmitter with FGr4 Receiver and FGr4S Receiver for RC Car Boat https://a.co/d/cTgDb71

Man, I wish I was smart enough to help you with that. I would suggest you contact the schools or colleges in your area. Maybe they can help as a school project. If they can't, they may know of someone in the area that can.

Last edited:
My nephew has a cheap toy grade rc car that is controlled with his cell phone. You can either have 2 sticks on the screen for throttle and steering, or you can simply tilt the phone in the desired direction of movement. The rc itself is just toy grade and pretty much junk, but the control feature Is pretty cool. I've never seen that tech applied to a hobby grade rc but I'm sure it's possible.

It's a great thing to see when someone is trying to go above and beyond to give a person some otherwise forgotten joy in their life.

I wonder if you could use one of the twin stick type of transmitters. Most (at least the aircraft ones) of those transmitters only one stick can control more than one channel. For example one stick could do: Up/Down would be throttle and brake. Left/Right would be steering. You would have 360° of proportional control on just one stick. Not sure how hard it would be, it was just an idea that might help.

Back