Cold weather driving?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I've read on here that driving a nitro rc is bad for it in colder weather. Is there a way I can prevent any damage happening to my engine, I'm pretty much in the southern most point of canada and its already a low of 45f to a high of 65f. I really dont want to stop running already, I want to drive until theres atleast snow on the ground and by then I hope a can convince my better half to get me a traxxas slash for my bday and problem solved.

cover the Finns with aluminium tape. and/or add extra nitro, take the nitro to 40% to 50% total, ONLY in cold weather. and of course retune, it wont need much.

Seems like alot of work. We just had to retune a little and were good to go. Sometimes switch to a hotter plug. Never had to do anything.

as long as your temps are right then your in good shape

I live in wny near buffalo and my cutoff is around 50 degrees. I feel that if your going to spend the cash on a nice engine, why risk ruining it by driving it in colder weather. Hope this helps, Steve.

i live in scotland and it verry rarely gets above 70 in the summer, i only recently got a nitro and it is 48 just now, it takes a bit of time to start but nothing that a hair drier and some aluminium foil wont sort out when it gets super cold :)

trying to get the performance out of it can be difficult, i always prefer to run it a bit rich prevention is better than cure!!!

I live in maine and winter bashing his half of the fun for me!!!! just be alittle cautiouse on what you are driving on and into!!!! I make sure my rig stays inside till right before I start it that way the engine doesn't get cold and right after I am done running it comes back inside so it doesn't cool off to quick. and then a good rinse cause of all the salt.. I ran my maxx all winter because I couldnt just stair at it and my families nitros and not go out I was out in 0degree weather (dressed warm and no problems!!) I bought the whole family nitros and there was no way they werent getting used!!! the only time i didnt go out was if it was storming out(sometimes:D) and when it went under 0degrees..) the top part of a sock works to keep the temps up.. I broke one of my 3.3's in in ther winter...

Yeah as long has after its warmed up (witch might take alittle longer than usual) and is running around mid 200's or lower mid 200's your fine. if its running in the mid to high 100's you might wanna get a hotter plug or just cover the head up alittle or lean it out.

hard to start? try a LITTLE gasoline, thats what the the top fuel cars use, JUST to start it. has to do with the flash point. for fun check it out.

gasoline thats odd, not doubting you just an odd thing to do to start it. that wouldnt mess anything up at all???

I like the winter bashing cause you can make jumps anywhere!! just pack snow ontop of itself real hard pack and good to go.( the only time I had a problem was if it wasn't packed tight enough and then it would just get stuck and fling snow everywhere.) And then you even have a little softer landing after he jump aswell.. last winter I made a track out back for my r.c.'s with table tops and everything it was kinda cool if I do it again this year I will try to get video....

Wish we go snow here in Alabama. ;( If we do it's more ice than anything and it's so hard you can't really do anything with it. You guys make some cool video's for me to be jealous over and put them on here I can't wait to check them out. I bet it's awesome to run in the snow and make a track out of it. ;(

Thanks alot guys its appreciated. Srusinek I feel for you man been to wny in the winter alot, I go up to ellitcotville (dont know how to spell it) and wow thats a serious snowbelt. Some good boarding there though.

Back