Cold Air Intake for .21's: The easiest mod yet?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it does make the air colder and denser, but probly only a slight diff. the heat is just going to build up in the body in the first place. it will get a increase in hp, but not noticeable

it does make the air colder and denser, but probly only a slight diff. the heat is just going to build up in the body in the first place. it will get a increase in hp, but not noticeable

I don't think anyone is going to see a huge increase in performance on any nitro engine using this mod, however the thing I liked about this mod the most was the way everything was held together. The pipe clamps made popping off filters a thing of the past. In all the time I ran the truck I never once ever had the filter come off and I even picked up the Savage by the filter and swung the truck just to test it... while I wouldn't recommend using this as a handle it does prove just how well everything is put together.

Looks cools, possible increased performance, and worry free!

heres what i did. i took and bouht a valve cover breather filter from autozone, some plastic tubing that fits my carb, and some baby socks. i super glued a 2 inch piece of the plastic tubing to the valve cover breather filter. then i took a baby sock n put a thin layer of oil on it and put it over the filter and zipped tied the sock on(trimming if needed).or u can just spray on some air filter oil(thats what i did) then i zipped tied it to the carb. u can also move it to the front of the car/truck

Attachments

• DSC00528.jpg
    DSC00528.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00525.jpg
    DSC00525.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC00526.jpg
    DSC00526.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00527.jpg
    DSC00527.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 252
you can do a forced/cold intake by doing almost the same thing but raise the filter high enough to go over the top of the car/truck and point it towards the front, as you drive and the faster you drive the colder and more air is forced down into the motor thus increasing performance even more.
i did that along with a boost bottle on my hpi on road with a .18 that b*tch did over 65mph

Take the setup in the original post but add a tube of metal around the airfilter line pack it around the air filter line with something like nappy or cotton sealed in plastic bag, soak it with water, that stuff out of cool blocks or engine coolant. Put it in the freezer overnight. Now when you put it on the car it will act as an intercooler giving you a good chunk more power until it warms up. Bring a few to race day in a cooler bag.

You could also make a cooler box to put the actual air filter in. Won't do much for the ascetics, but a block of aluminum with lots of fins in it and a port to install the air filter in. Put the whole block in the freezer overnight. Again it will cool the air entering the airfilter.

Last edited:
Just do forced induction put some type of scoop over the air filter

Just a thought, the longer the tube, the more resistance is created. I have tried it myself years ago but saw no difference. A word of warning to anyone running those K&N style air filters, they do not filter dust, I have seen inside a few engines that ran them........ spend the money on a good foam filter.

just a thought, the longer the tube, the more resistance is created. I have tried it myself years ago but saw no difference. A word of warning to anyone running those k&n style air filters, they do not filter dust, i have seen inside a few engines that ran them........ Spend the money on a good foam filter.

yep motorsaver filters all the way!!!!!

I'm way late on this, and I'm just gonna comment on the forced induction.. i like the idea..

would you see any difference if i used a filter and forced induction?

remember that this works well in a 1:1 car because the air intake is near the top of the engine and the engine compartment has that thing called a hood on it that also holds the heat in ...

in the rc world our air intake is in the front of the engine .. heat goes up through the cooling head .. and since we are moving forward (usually) and there is no engine compartment or hood to keep the warm air in there .. the air coming into the engine is always fresh .. since you are blowing the heat behind you ...

imo... this "cold air" set up is the biggest rip off you can buy ... but if ya think it will help or ya think it will look cool ... then have at it .. it is your money you are spending not mine ....

well done. If there were any performance gains we'd see the pro's running longer intakes and companies like Traxxas, AE and Losi would be offering/providing "cold air intakes" on their cars, but they're not. For good reason. 2 strokes, are not 4 strokes, the same concepts do no apply. Nothing beats a tuned pipe and a good engine tune.

Products like these take the weight out of your wallet and add it to your car, that's it.

but what about forced induction?

Forced induction does not work the same on nitro engines as they do not have valves to keep it in the piston chamber (2 stroke engines), all forced induction does is force fuel and air to blast out of the exhaust port so it actually slows down your ride and makes it run silly lean.

EDIT ::

so this guy is dumb for doing all this?
and gets no benefit by doing all this to his car..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDI7rlf8jyI&feature=related"]YouTube - Rc Nitro R34 skyline GTR supercharger installation and dyno testing.wmv[/ame]

Last edited:
dumb in the sense of he's not getting a single gain from doing all that right?

I had a LRP ZR30 SPEC 2 and I used K&N FILTER for real car. And gives me a good power and protection to my engine. And I used also to my XTM XLB with SH ENGINE 28 MODIFIED.

The K&N air filter will NOT keep fine dust from entering your engine, I wouldn't even run one in an on-road rc. Get a proper oiled air filter if you want your engine to last. Paper filters will either choke the engine or not provide enough protection.

As for the video, that engine should be screaming much better then that, it looks like a nice loss in power for sure. It looks like the supercharger is geared at 1:1 and even if it did make any boost, how much do you think a smooth rubber band or O ring is going to push before it starts slipping? Great ingenuity but that's about as far as it goes.

Back