Cold Air Intake for .21's: The easiest mod yet?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Cold Air Intake for .21's: The easiest mod yet?

hpicoldair.jpg

This modification is probably the easiest modification I have seen yet. It requires 3 things. By using the three things together you can pretty much rest assure that your air filter won't becoming off anytime in the near future.

Please note this project was done with the Hyper .21 8 port engine installed on the HPI Savage.

Parts and Tools Needed:
  • (1) HPI High Performance Air Filter (part no. 72438)
  • (1) Traxxas Rubber Pipe Exhaust (part no. 4451)
  • (2) Small pipe clamps
  • (1) Flathead screw driver

Click here to continue reading.

this is a good thing to do to any engine because cold air is dense air = more compression = more power the bad side is that the longer pipe can cause a restriction on the air flow ( something about the venturi effect ) on my road car the actual effect of doing this was an increase in bhp but a loss of torque. so the choice is yours not sure how this would effect such a small engine as there is generally a decent flow of air going under my savage anyway. will test it out .

I don't get how this makes the air colder. is it just because it has a longer distance to travel.

Hello! It is drawing air in from a colder spot not right next to the engine where the heat dissapation is happening. Think of a "snorkel" but water should never be involved in this picture. Air is more dense rather be thin and hot by the engine.

dpk136 - Keep in mind what performance if any isn't going to be that huge. However another plus about this mod in particular is that the air filter is now attached to the carb VERY securely - no more air filters popping off while your bashing. In fact after doing this mod and installing the engine back in the Savage I was able to pick up the truck by that black rubber hose and even swing the truck around, the filter didn't budge...just another plus.

-Michael

Hmm.. will that work with my Picco .26's? I need to move the air filter somehow cuz it'll be behind my engines the way I'll be set up. I could jus turn it sideways I think.

remember that this works well in a 1:1 car because the air intake is near the top of the engine and the engine compartment has that thing called a hood on it that also holds the heat in ...

in the rc world our air intake is in the front of the engine .. heat goes up through the cooling head .. and since we are moving forward (usually) and there is no engine compartment or hood to keep the warm air in there .. the air coming into the engine is always fresh .. since you are blowing the heat behind you ...

imo... this "cold air" set up is the biggest rip off you can buy ... but if ya think it will help or ya think it will look cool ... then have at it .. it is your money you are spending not mine ....

Ilike the idea fo MT's (especialy MT's with SUV bodies,) but I think it would be a problem to fit under a buggy lid.

i sort of get how it works, but i do use clamps to hold on both ends of my filter line. it really does help, you can do anything to it and it won't fall off.

Some very slight tuning difference but no real difference that I can tell. And man does it stay way cleaner now.

I extended mine forward about 6" by using a silicone tube. (Exhaust tubing that you can cut to length)
It gets it out of the dust normally thrown straight at it by the front tires of a 4WD MT, as well as bringing in cooler air.

bought one of these "cold air pollished aluminum" intakes.. couldnt get my savage to run right for anything.. tuned on it for like 2 hours... took tube off, got out dremel, cut it to fit air filter under "roll bar", tuned a bit, runs like a champ.. i think the ones that go to the front are to long for the motor to run right.. was bogging down at low rpm..
imo it was a wait of money cause i ended up cutting it up... and i dont see a difference in it and the "motor saver" air cleaner i had on it..

I think it works very good..here's mine

Attachments

• Jun24_005.jpg
    Jun24_005.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 358
Woodie, link doesn't work. (Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.)

Also I am new to this stuff. How do you people tune a engine for a cold air intake. (nevermind, there is a thread just a couple of thread down that explains! :hammer: )

You can buy heat tollerant hose and run the filter from wherever you want. or you could even run a y adapter and run two air filters ;) that would mean more flow which means a happier engine.

Scaryperson27 said:
You can buy heat tollerant hose and run the filter from wherever you want. or you could even run a y adapter and run two air filters ;) that would mean more flow which means a happier engine.

Not trying to burst your bubble but the venturi in your carb has a maxximum airflow it can handle...at 30k RPMs + you are pretty much maxxed out already....the 2 filters would need to eventually dump into a collector/header and then not be able to "push" anymore air into the carb.....would look cool though...kinda like a mickey mouse RC if you popped em throught the lid.....

Best way to get a cold ait intake. i slice of dry ice about 1 inch away from the filter. beware you may need to play with the amount of dry ice that you put in do not want the eng. temp. to get too cold

Back