Clutch Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSkeedleWeedle

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I have been having this issue a while now on my ftx hooligan. Every run afterwords the clutch becomes stuck in the engaged position. I have cleaned it all and replaced the clutch shoes and springs. Is what i am thinking it could be is the flywheel locking nut. Where the springs rest on it, it looks very worn out. So i am thinking the springs arent sitting properly causing the clutch to just move wherever it likes. This issue is causing me not to be able to start my car is the car moves when i pull the starter. If anybody can tell me anything they know that would be much appreciated. Thankyou

If your car moves when pulling the pull start, then the clutch springs are worn. If the springs keep breaking and the shoes are worn, then you need new shoes. Remember to crimp the spring join, as sometimes the top hook can slightly protrude and rub against the housing causing it to snap.

How to you know the springs are still engaged on the nut? Are you taking the engine off and seeing this? If so then check where the tail is. If it's below the nuts groove then most likely the clutch nut is coming loose. If it's above the groove than there is a possible issue where the springs seat in the shoe. If you can post up a picture of what you see when it occurs I'm confident I can pin point the issue. FWIW I've yet to have any 3+ show spring become worn so that it affects performance so I would be surprised if that is it--but I've never run that clutch so can't say either way. Just that I've run a plethora if different makes and it's yet to happen to me. NOW two shoe systems it's almost always the spring.

Hi. see the included photos attatched. you can see what mine looks like and what one looks like new, mine is terribly worn for some reason.
blq6m5
blq6s7

http://prntscr.com/blq983
http://prntscr.com/blq9hb

Last edited: