Clicking while turning but wheels move fine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbjfan2009

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey folks. First time post here since the Traxxas forum has been down for several days.
I was bashing my Slash 4x4 out in a construction site today; outing was cut short by a new clicking sound I can't identify.
When wheels point straight, no clicking under power and all four corners are turning freely. When I turn lightly, no clicking. When I approach full lock left or right, then I hear clicking.
I have Traxxas HD CVD front and back that have only had about 2-3 packs through them. Could I have torched a CVD hub or something? Advice on how to tear down a CVD (especially so I don't destroy the boots) would be HUGELY appreciated.
Thanks!

Hey folks. First time post here since the Traxxas forum has been down for several days.
I was bashing my Slash 4x4 out in a construction site today; outing was cut short by a new clicking sound I can't identify.
When wheels point straight, no clicking under power and all four corners are turning freely. When I turn lightly, no clicking. When I approach full lock left or right, then I hear clicking.
I have Traxxas HD CVD front and back that have only had about 2-3 packs through them. Could I have torched a CVD hub or something? Advice on how to tear down a CVD (especially so I don't destroy the boots) would be HUGELY appreciated.
Thanks!
I'm not sure I could even hazard a guess. Id say the first thing that might help narrow it down is try and pin point where the clicking is coming from. Is it around one of the tires itself? Is it coming from around the diff area? Is it coming from around the servo or steering linkages? If you're not sure what the part or area is called that its coming from try taking a pic and point to the area. It might help to clue us in on the possible problem :)

I think ,also ,if your ride height is to high it will put the CVD's in a bind an make that noise as
well ,so check that first ,but make sure that your axles isnt binding while turning ,also could
be the steering could be tuning too far putting them in a bind ,try trimming the end point
of the steering!

Thanks!
i recently had exactly what you're describing happen to me with the mini revo. After a couple weeks my curiosity finally got the better of me and it turned out to be one broken tooth in the steering servo causing the clicking. Upgraded to a metal servo and all is once again well...
servors.jpg

I'm not sure I could even hazard a guess. Id say the first thing that might help narrow it down is try and pin point where the clicking is coming from. Is it around one of the tires itself? Is it coming from around the diff area? Is it coming from around the servo or steering linkages? If you're not sure what the part or area is called that its coming from try taking a pic and point to the area. It might help to clue us in on the possible problem :)
Thanks to all who have posted. I popped the wheels off and hand cranked the wheels. To see how they felt. Cranking opposite directions = no click and smooth motion (as expected with no resistance on the orbital gears); as soon as I forced the wheels in the same direction, I can hear and feel clicking. Sound definitely originating from front end. I'm attaching a picture of how much droop unsprung. It's slightly higher preload than factory, but I wasn't hearing this clicking until after I was bashing for about 20min.
Edited: just to update, I hear the clicking only when turning to full lock right turn. Don't know if that makes a difference. Full left turn is fine

Attachments

• 20210601_192306.jpg
    20210601_192306.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
If those axles go into a cup at the diff. ,then that could be where the noise is coming from ,when
the axle is in a real sharp angle ,it puts a bind at the end of the axle that goes in at the cup ,there
is where that type of noise usually comes from ,if you get the ride to high ,it will do that ,also if
you have your spring rate set too stiff!

Thanks to all who have posted. I popped the wheels off and hand cranked the wheels. To see how they felt. Cranking opposite directions = no click and smooth motion (as expected with no resistance on the orbital gears); as soon as I forced the wheels in the same direction, I can hear and feel clicking. Sound definitely originating from front end. I'm attaching a picture of how much droop unsprung. It's slightly higher preload than factory, but I wasn't hearing this clicking until after I was bashing for about 20min.
Edited: just to update, I hear the clicking only when turning to full lock right turn. Don't know if that makes a difference. Full left turn is fine
If it only starts doing that at full lock, that's expected from any dog-bone or CVD joint. Set the steering endpoints.

Attached is a view of ride height / A-arm angle. Does my cvd angle look too severe as to cause bind?
TurboChargedHonda: I will look into reducing my servo range. Is it common for an issue like this to not show up right away at install? It took several packs before I started hearing this sound. Also, would it be normal to only happen on one side? Just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210601_203820.jpg
    20210601_203820.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Attached is a view of ride height / A-arm angle. Does my cvd angle look too severe as to cause bind?

can't see by the pics ,but the look of the rash ,you might want to take axles off
for a better inspection!.. :cool:
Because that is the nature of the beast ,an that is part of maintenance!

TurboChargedHonda: I will look into reducing my servo range. Is it common for an issue like this to not show up right away at install? It took several packs before I started hearing this sound. Also, would it be normal to only happen on one side? Just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks!
The problem most likely was always there, and you never really noticed it until now. It could also be that the dust, debris, and everything made the clicking worse, and thus more noticeable. Having that only happen to one side is pretty common, as the endpoints of the servo aren't always the same on both sides. If you disconnect the servo and turned the wheels at full lock on the other side, there's a good chance that it will also start clicking.

All this just happens because the joint is held at too extreme of an angle for it to function smoothly. You can reduce the clicking by cleaning it and adding a bit of grease.

20210603_211715.jpg

Looks like the cup has been rubbing on the shaft. A nice little groove. I guess if I give it a year or two it'll cut right through! ;) Have to talk to Traxxas since their baseline transmitter doesn't have variable EPA from what I've read (TQ model not the TQi).

View attachment 127727
Looks like the cup has been rubbing on the shaft. A nice little groove. I guess if I give it a year or two it'll cut right through! ;) Have to talk to Traxxas since their baseline transmitter doesn't have variable EPA from what I've read (TQ model not the TQi).
I don't really think Traxxas would do anything about it, but it's worth a try. If not, then there are affordable radios with endpoint adjustments (Radiolink, Fly-Sky, Spektrum SLT3 from eBay, etc).

Update to the story: took off my axle making the noise. Cleaned all bearings and oiled; oiled the cvd; separated the steering arm from the hub and forced the cvd to a reallllllllly extreme angle (still no clicking even at absurd angle). Put it all back together and BOOM - no more clicking. Maybe it's the servo and something was binding it up? Dunno. Will follow up again if noise starts up again.
Thanks again to all who commented!

Back