Clicking noise from engine when pulling over by hand

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jippy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a force. 21 engine. On starting when pulling the cord it makes a clicking sound. If you take the starter cord off and end plate, there is a disc with a gradual cut out on. A pin sits in here to turn the crank. It sounds like the pin is slipping over the deep part as metallic. Any ideas? When you get a good pull the engine starts and runs jut fine.

if the engine starts and runs then the starter shaft if working fine. The clicking could be a worn out connecting rod bushing.

Hi all. I have a force. 21 engine. On starting when pulling the cord it makes a clicking sound. If you take the starter cord off and end plate, there is a disc with a gradual cut out on. A pin sits in here to turn the crank. It sounds like the pin is slipping over the deep part as metallic. Any ideas? When you get a good pull the engine starts and runs jut fine.
when you are just slow rolling, you are hearing that little pin under pressure from a spring hit the recessed area in the starter shaft, if its grabbing when you go to start it with the pullstarter you are good.

Last edited:
when you are just slow pulling, you are hearing that little pin under pressure from a spring hit the recessed area in the starter shaft, if its grabbing when you go to start it with the pullstarter you are good.
When you take the glow plug out and no compression it doesn't do it, it pulls over lovely. It makes it stick sometimes and unable to pull very easy like it jams. Runs sweet as with no noise when started.

When you take the glow plug out and no compression it doesn't do it, it pulls over lovely. It makes it stick sometimes and unable to pull very easy like it jams. Runs sweet as with no noise when started.

As you rotate or pull on the starter ,it is suppose to get tight like that ,that means that you still
got good pinch on the sleeve an good compression!
If you dont feel that ,then the engine is worn out!
Always run the piston down out of the sleeve at bottom dead after you run it when cool
down ,this will save the pinch on the sleeve ,an the engine will have longer life.

Pull the plug ,use a non metalic object like a tooth pic or zip tie ,run the piston all the
way down ,use the zip tie in plug hole to make sure the piston is down ,then put a mark
on the flywheel ,then after you run ,rotate your flywheel to your mark!... :thumbs-up:

Best way to save the pinch on any nitro engine is use fuel with more oil lube with castor oil. Run rich. I never set my engines at bottom after running. Temp 200-235 degrees.

Last edited:
Back