Cleaning.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apples

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
How do you guys clean your car properly? Particularly the moster trucks that fill up very quickly with dirt and dust? Trying to limit amount of pulling it apart completely.

if i dont want to pull it apart i use wd-40..doesn't hurt the electrics. i dont have an air compressor so i let it drip dry, if I'm going to be running it the next day i just spray down a paint brush with wd-40 and use that as the "juice" takes some time to dry out or run off. if you run it the next day its like a dirt magnet.

but most of the time i strip it down and clean bit-by-bit.. more fun that way

Denatured alcohol in a spray bottle seems to do the trick. Some will mix with mean green.

When I clean my trucks, I break em down and do it with a tooth brush, paper towels, and some times a little water or some kind of cleaner.

I use wd-40 or carb andchoke cleaner and blow it off with the air compressor.That way I only have to tear down once a month.

I've got all my electronics pretty well sealed so I just take off the air cleaner and plug the opening with a CLEAN cloth and use the sprayer from the shower(be sure to clean the shower afterwards or the warden gets upset). The really greasy dirt that stays stuck gets cleaned up as the parts break or once a month whichever comes first...lol

I use 50/50 simple green and water in a spray bottle. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes and then hit it with a bargain bin cheap-o paint brush to try to knock off as much crud as you can. I then hit it with compressed air. I repeat wash as needed. For real cruddy areas I use denatured alcohol. To rinse I use 50/50 Armor-All and water in a spray bottle...again hit with compressed air. Whenever you do this though do pay very special attention to your electronics and do not get them wet. Set in the sun to dry.....hope this helps.
******If you use carb cleaner or brake cleaner be very careful as it will stip paint and can also damage some plastics and make you more prone to breakage.******

Last edited:
I use 50/50 simple green and water in a spray bottle. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes and then hit it with a bargain bin cheap-o paint brush to try to knock off as much crud as you can. I then hit it with compressed air. I repeat wash as needed. For real cruddy areas I use denatured alcohol. To rinse I use 50/50 Armor-All and water in a spray bottle...again hit with compressed air. Whenever you do this though do pay very special attention to your electronics and do not get them wet. Set in the sun to dry.....hope this helps.
******If you use carb cleaner or brake cleaner be very careful as it will stip paint and can also damage some plastics and make you more prone to breakage.******

Ok Joey,
Now for a stupid question. Why the 50/50 armor-all and water? What does that do? Besides make shiney :) Does it protect better from dirt?I never tried that but i always see you say you use it And was curious.

With my buggy I have been removing the radio box and servo tray and using Simple Green/Water mix...and then hosing it off with a garden hose....and then blowing it all dry with compressed air. Then I'll clean the radio/servo tray by hand and blow that dry. Only takes me @ 5 min to disassemble and works pretty well. The longer I let the Simple Green sit....the shinier it gets ;-)

Exactly, it helps repel dirt. If you use is full strength it does not work because it will leave behind residue and make dirt stick. But the 50/50 kinda balances it all out and makes it shiney and help keep it "cleaner" for your next run.

Just regular ol' Armor-all huh? Learn something new everyday.
I'm gonna have to pick some up today and try it.
Thanks Joey

WD40 works well to repell dirt as well. We used to use it on our motocross bike fenders (underneath) to stop mud from sticking at wet races. It also repells water so we'd spray the motors after washing them to prevent rusting. WD40 is like duct tape....4 million uses! hehe

Well WD-40 does repel water just as it is supposed to... that is what the WD stands for Water Displacing, formula #40. Good stuff....love it. Thank you NASA... Yup no problem JNJRitz. Actually it's a trick I pick-up from one of our finest ...Rolex. We KNOW he knows how to clean an RC!

Well WD-40 does repel water just as it is supposed to... that is what the WD stands for Water Displacing, formula #40. Good stuff....love it. Thank you NASA... Yup no problem JNJRitz. Actually it's a trick I pick-up from one of our finest ...Rolex. We KNOW he knows how to clean an RC!

Yea but do i really have to use a duster TOO? lol :D

Back