Cleaning tires at the track

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusTLeRx350

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What is the best way to do this? I was at the track the other weekend, and some other racers were able to clean their tires to the point they looked brand new after every heat. They weren't new tires though. They didn't have access to water, and I was just wondering what they used. I would have asked, but didn't really think about it at the time. The clay really built up in the tread, so I feel this would be useful.

can they be carrying a triggerspray bottle of water? ;) add a few drops of dishdetergent

some bring storage tubs or buckets with lids... look for nappy buckets in the infant section of dept stores

I have seen a few guys do this. Go get a water sealed tub. Glue a scrub brush to the floor. Fill with soapy water before leaving for the track. At the track leave it under your table. Slide it out. and open the lid. Rub the tires over the cleaner covered scrub brush. and dip to rinse. Dry off with a towel and your done. Toss the lid on and slid under the table to after the next heat. Dump out after you get ready to load you stuff up.

if you're really cheapskate & after a strong watertight lidded bucket... go score a
foodgrade 10-20L bucket that condiments, pickles etc come in

caterers, large sandwich bars etc would get their supplies come in those

i've even got a bucket that 1000 ChupaChups came in :)

I made a tire tub to clean them good and fast. I went to the dollar general, bought a 16quart tub w/ lid, 2 somewhat large brushes that were flat on the back sides, some silicone glue. Got home and glued the brushes in the bottom and let them dry for at least 24 hours. When that was done, I drilled holes in the sides so I can stick a small rod through them. I take a tire and push the rod through the hole for the axle and stick it trough the other side and all I do is roll the tire clean. It does that by it rubbing the brush. I do that for the fronts and rears. Take the bearings out of the front first. I use water and simple green from the gallon concentrate, never diluted. Take the tire out and wipe it dry with a clean towel and wala, you have some nice shiny tires in a few seconds. Put the lid on it and save it after you run again.

This is what almost every one at my tracks use.
Cheepo bucket dubble side tape cheepo brush.

BedRace_2010_06_08_1055.gif

And this stuff.

BedRace_2010_06_08_1056.gif

This is what almost every one at my tracks use.
Cheepo bucket dubble side tape cheepo brush.

BedRace_2010_06_08_1055.gif

And this stuff.

BedRace_2010_06_08_1056.gif

Thats the same system I seen someone else use @ our track, with just plain water..:thumbup1:

Very simular to what I have been using for over 20 years. Only we used Orange smelling stuff back then. Use SG now though too. Works great! :thumbup1: Rubiconmike, did you notice that the Simple Green makes the tires bite a little better too? Little tackier?

I need to post my tire tub...it just plain works for little $$

Don't need much, the a little simple green will go a long way and really does help clean them up.

dayum we're behind, never seen the "MAX" grade before... only the boring original recipe Simple Green

(according to the blurb its safe for cleaning penguins - anybody told BP that yet? ;) )

Back