Cleaning the Cylinder Head

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaeJae

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just purchased a used T-Maxx 3.3 and the Cylinder Head is pretty knarly. I want to remove it to clean it. My only concern, is if i remove it from the block, will I expose the piston and sleeve?? Or is that encased yet? I dont want to remove it if that is the case...:n00bie:

The cooling head is one piece.If removed it will reveal the piston and sleeve....To clean it you can get nitro r/c cleaner and spray it down..Theres other methods aswell to clean it up without having to disassemble it

It's not a big deal taking the cooling head off. 5 bolts, it's off. Just make sure to remove your glow plug and take care to not loose the shims that go between the cooling head and top of the sleeve. You will need to put those back on or it will be prone to leaking and have an incorrect compression ratio.

Just make sure when you put it back on that you tighten all screws down finger tight, then tighten them in a cross pattern so the head is evenly tightened down or you will screw up the seal between the head and sleeve.

For cleaning, I use WD-40, let it soak a bit, then scrub the crap out of it with a stiff plastic bristled brush, then wash it with dish soap and water.

Ya I just went mud bogging with my t-maxx and the next day I took the motor out and cleaned it because you want it as clean as you can get it before you remove the cooling head. Once I had the motor clean I took the cooling head off and scrubed the fins with a potato brush.