Cleaning motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shouldn't hurt, well not if its a Traxxas TRX 3.3 anyway. Traxxas say to spray WD-40 into the engine/motor after use anyway, so using WD to clean it out shouldn't hurt. You would want to drain it out pretty well though so it doesn't cause to many problems when you go to start it. As for the outside, I doubt that it would hurt but any residue left over may create a bit of smoke once the engine heats up to running temp, but then it might not either. Spray a bit on and use a tooth brush to give it a little scrub to get the stubborn stuff off

Just the outside just soak the outside then wipe it down

When just cleaning off the outside of block i use brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Just be sure to keep carb and exhaust covered so not to let anything get into engine. Works alot faster than soaking with wd40.

Look at CowRCs Moo-tor cleaner....it will clean your block up in seconds and you can just use an air compressor or can air to blow it dry after youve sprayed it on.

Look at CowRCs Moo-tor cleaner....it will clean your block up in seconds and you can just use an air compressor or can air to blow it dry after youve sprayed it on.

You keep plugging this and I'm very aware you know what your talking about I'm looking for some nitro safe cleaner. The thing is no hobby shops around me carry it. Is the lets say the stuff from dynamite as good? Can you just spray that stuff off with air? I mentioned the dynamite cause that's what would the lhs carries. I really don't want to order online, I prefer to buy small stuff like this local.

you could soak your engine in vegetable and soybean oil and it wouldnt hurt it. as long as it is an hydrophobic non-corrosive compound your safe, which is WD-40

I found this neat little trick online somewheres a while back, can't remember where.

I mix 2 parts denatured alcohol to one part Simple Green, put it in a spray bottle. When my rigs get too dirty for my liking, I spray the whole thing down (excluding the radio) and let it sit for a couple minutes. Blow it off with a compressor. Works great for me, and costs way less than the stuff my LHS sells.

Plus it's more convenient, since my LHS is 7 miles away, and Wal-Mart is right around the corner. XD

any 1:1 engine degrease should be absolutely fine.

Best stuff I've used to clean is CowRCs Moo-tor cleaner or a can of carb cleaner. They work great!

Sorry guys, i havent been on here very much lately. @wacmartin I can't answer that as I've never used it. I went from using carb or engine cleaner to cowrcs cleaner. I used to gawk at the COWRC stuff because its pricey but once I used a can of it I was hooked....now I order it by the case cuz the per can cost is cheaper.

@usv568 Moo-tor cleaner 100% electronic safe as long as the electronics arent being powered. I use it on my nitros and my electrics.

WD40 and compressed air, you are golden. Out when I'm bashing I bring brake clean in case I want to remove a plug or something. Hold the truck upside down and blast the head and button from underneath. Dries instantly and you are safe to pull the plug out without dust or dirt falling in there.

I find carb clean works awesome too, but over time I find it tends to deteriorate vinyl and plastics more, so I use break clean instead.

WD40 will certainly work, the thing I hate the most is the greasy feeling residue it leaves behind. I don't get that with CowRC Moo-tor cleaner or carb cleaner.

@usv568 - CowRC Moo-tor cleaner is electronics safe.

+1 woodie....moo-tor cleaner doesn't harm, electronics, plastics, or steel screws....I rusted out a whole bunch of crap once using carb cleaner on my LSt2. That was major suck.

Back