Chubakas Hpi Rs4 3 rebuild and restore

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubaka

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Years ago I met an individual from sanford halfway to where I was. I was supposed to het a 3.3 and 2.5 used. I got a 2.5r, and an hpi .15fe. He then said he had a car chassis. I asked him how much and he said take it. I worked a little on the car, thinking of using 2 1/16 lipos and a brushless motor.

Never went through. I had her nearly 10 years. I have this one, and an Rs4 3 evo with a t15. I'm thinking one big block and one tiny. Maybe a .12?

Twice I lost on an hpi 7499 on ebay, so I got a tamiya 2008 wrc hatchie. After bath will be the body and all molded accessories.

This is how she sat this morning, on tamiya rims. Shes now in pieces getting ready for a warm bath.

I plan on keeping both period correct besides electronics. I may add some carbon fiber or graphite, and want some hpi purple also. These will be a sunday driver here and there.

Attachments

• 20211111_094323.jpg
    20211111_094323.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 137
Very cool! I still have two RS4 3s, I love them. One is bone stock, the other isn't. The graphite upper deck is a great upgrade, if you can still find one. That, along with a sway bar kit helped the handling tremendously. I recently did a complete tear down and rebuild of my hopped up one. I'll be following your rebuild.

Very cool! I still have two RS4 3s, I love them. One is bone stock, the other isn't. The graphite upper deck is a great upgrade, if you can still find one. That, along with a sway bar kit helped the handling tremendously. I recently did a complete tear down and rebuild of my hopped up one. I'll be following your rebuild.
Great to know. I never drove this one, the evo I burned a gallon or two on. After that in 2012 I boght an hpi e10, and sold it 6 months old or so. I see hpi has parts, but I guess only a dealer can order so when my customers pay me, I plan on getting some spare parts as I dint have anything for them. 🤐

Good stuff. looks like that gal could use some TLC :)
A bit ashamed of that. I have weedeaters and engine bays cleaner. But thats behind me as she getting a bath, even her motor that I'm sure is dead.

A bit ashamed of that. I have weedeaters and engine bays cleaner. But thats behind me as she getting a bath, even her motor that I'm sure is dead.
Some of my kits have been sitting for years with dirt and grime caked on them. One of my next big projects is to tear down, clean up, and get running my Losi XXL.

Some of my kits have been sitting for years with dirt and grime caked on them. One of my next big projects is to tear down, clean up, and get running my Losi XXL.
The monster truck? I remember the adds in magazines years ago for it. I thought it was discontinued, but still on there site with anoth 2 stroke gas model. I always wanted an mgt 8.0, but this isnt a bad option.

The monster truck? I remember the adds in magazines years ago for it. I thought it was discontinued, but still on there site with anoth 2 stroke gas model. I always wanted an mgt 8.0, but this isnt a bad option.
Yeah, I've got a XXL and an LST2 electric conversion along with an entire tub of both stock and after market parts. Theyre my all time favorite kits I've ever owned

Shes mostly together. I purchased a new box, body mounts and a 2 speed tranny, mainly for the sjifting sound. I'm slowly building her as a Rs4 3 Evo.

Trying to find some purple ball studs and a gas tank. I may try and make a few carbon fiber goodies one day.

The body is a Tamiya Subaru Wrx hatchie. I'm gonna paint it the blue, neon yellow, and white. I originally got a hatchie for the room for big block.

This one will probably get a trx pro.15 with the blue header and pipe hopefully. Eventually that will be put in my Stampede when I find the perfect mill and pipe.

Servos, probably Futaba. Had good luck with them years ago.

Attachments

• 20220120_145815.jpg
    20220120_145815.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 54
Updates coming soon. Bought some hopups, and sorting out power plants.

@gandalfnz steering part a396, its the equivelnt to Traxxas' bell crank. Anyways, I had some tiny bearings the same size of the bushing from a Trx Stampede wheeliebar and 1/16 wheel bearing. It fits perfectly, 2 per side, a total of 4. Should help with play, and make it butter smooth.

Attachments

• 20220601_202806.jpg
    20220601_202806.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 53
Got a few things done today. Stuck house sitting for a week. Grabbed the Rs4 3 and some HPI drive shafts to fit the center by the motor. Also have HPI optional links (steel......) and some Hot Bodies rear body post mount, and top deck. The front shocktower should be in tomorrow.

Mounted is an ancient 15fe, the pips is not hpi, but unsure of brand. The muffler and header (not installed) were for the lefties, not righties.

Attachments

• 20220626_181356.jpg
    20220626_181356.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220626_184337.jpg
    20220626_184337.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 56
I'm surprised some of the stuff I was able to score. I'm not sure on the top deck. I'm loving the rear part. The body is gonna be the subaru racing white/bright yellow green/dark blue. Its the hatch back so I can toy with motors.

Looking at the t15 or G/T3.0, both hpi. Might go os, or even a .12. If money allows the os .12 tz I believe, found one on ebay around $500 new.

I'm about to sign a loan out for some titanium parts.🤔

Pic included is the frame for my trailer deck. If the build goes right, I'm gonna build an open 5th wheel car hauler for two, if not all thre my Nitro Rs4 3s.

Attachments

• 20220626_192332.jpg
    20220626_192332.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 50
Looking great! So where are you sourcing your parts from? I've been trying to find front and rear carbon fiber or graphite shock towers for one of mine.

Looking great! So where are you sourcing your parts from? I've been trying to find front and rear carbon fiber or graphite shock towers for one of mine.
Much appreciated all.
Ebay. Paying out for some. I saw a few carbon fiber parts but they are at $50.00 buy it now when I ssw some tome ago. Ill take a look around and post what.

I want some cf parts for mine but have other things before this. I've been thinking of making my own or having some made also.

Less each time I look too.

Damn, I never knew this thread even existed, stumbled upon it by accident.
Wrong section mate...

The car is looking really good, when is it going to be ready for a test run?
Interested to see hard/easy tuning is on the single needle carb.

Is there a reason why you guys are replacing the shock towers, I find that stock ones are more than adequate unless broken.
I wonder if HSP flying fish ones would work?

Do you have a fuel tank for it?

Anyway, keep us updated, very cool!

Are you saying that this traxxas bellcrank would be a direct fit onto the RS4-3?

1661799180777.png

Some of my kits have been sitting for year

s with dirt and grime caked on them. One of my next big projects is to tear down, clean up, and get running my Losi XXL.

My ocd always kicks in after each ride and I always use compressor to blow the car.
Takes 2 mins of your time, but keeps the car always looking new.
Even one drop of fuel pisses me off (must wipe it right away), as it leaves an oily mess.
:)

Last edited: