Chip is playing with a 1:1 again

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip cross

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well a few weeks back I sold everything I had that was r/c car related except for one rig, my 1.9 FJ 40. I had been looking for a clean 1:1 to start my build with but it always seems like everything that is clean is on the West Coast. I lucked up and found a an 1986 CUCV that was about 85 miles from my house. So the wife and I took a drive one day to go check out the truck, when I first saw the truck I didn't really like it but after driving it I went ahead and bought it. The truck drives like a Caddy but rides like a Log truck.

The owner swapped out the oil burner for a fresh 454 and a fresh TH 400. Since this was a 1 1/4 ton CUCV it has a NP208 which I plan to swap out the a STAK monster box 2 speed transfer case. The front axle is a Dana 60 and the rear axle is of course a 14 Bolt FF with a Detroit locker. The truck has 8 inches of lift and 5 brand new TrXus MT on chrome steel wheels. The owner also gave me a brand new Warn 8274-50.

My plans for this truck is to take the lift off and sale it, sale the tires and wheels and shoot for 47 inch Super Swapers LTBs and NO LIFT. Swap the transfer case, full hydro steering, 1410 drive lines, 35 spline all the way across the front with CTM joints and drive flanges. I am also going to shorted down the wheel base.

This is the truck I am starting with.

102_2778.gif

Here is the build thread on Pirate 4x4 that got the wheels turning in my head, this is one sick truck.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687621&highlight=lift+48+tires

Want a hug?

Nice rig, should be a cool build.

i prefer yours the way it sits now actually. Pull the bed rails and get a softer suspension. I just like the original look of it. Whacked/tubed/shortened trucks just don't have much appeal to me. Just the plain jane old skool look is great

I love no lift with huge tread. Theres a couple yota's around here without lift running 38's...Although I prefer a toyota with lift, its still a cool idea.