Charging a LiHV on LiPo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Charging LiHV on LiPo ok / safe?

It probably is but I just want to make sure.

If charging a 2s LiHV on 2s LiPo it would only charge until 8.4, not 8.7?

I am asking this as some near by tracks have some rules for classes. Most are from the ROAR handbook.

13.5 Stock 4wd Buggy:
2s max charge of 8.44v.
The same goes for other stock classes like 17.5/21.5 2wd Buggy.
Some classes like 2wd / 4wd SCT and STs are still 2s max. But can be charged to 8.44v (regular lipo) or 8.7 for LiHV.

If charging my LiHV on LiPo, since it is just charging to 8.4v, its just like a normal lipo without that extra voltage or punch?

Safe as far as I know, David. You are correct in stating the LiHV will only charge to LiPo voltage. And yes, it will have less punch charged as LiPo than if charged as LiHV.

Caveat> when placing in back in storage, use the LiHV setting to ensure desired storage level.

My experience is with using both a ProTec charger and ProTek LiHV 2s shorty pack. Instructions provided with the equipment state it is safe to do.

Hope this helps. 'AC'

I have charged my LiHV's as Lipo's with out any problems. As stated above, I do storage charge them as a LiHV.

As stated above, completely safe. I've been using several protek shorty packs in my crawlers for years with no issue. I do use the Lihv storage mode.

I can't remember which manufacturer, either Castle or Hobbywing, warns against using LiHv charged packs with their system as the voltage exceeds safe recommendations.

Just to clarify... there are packs rated for LiHV which can be charged at 4.35V/cell safely.

Although ROAR limits batteries to be charged no higher than 4.2V/cell there is a belief that charging LiHV packs at 4.2V/cell will perform better than traditional packs are not rated for LiHV.

In my personal observations, the C rating tends to be more important than whether or not if the pack is LiHV and there are other tricks you can do to boost IR as explained here by "pumping" the battery. I no longer put any consideration into whether a pack is LiHV or not and simply pump my packs instead to get the best possible performance:

Caveat> when placing in back in storage, use the LiHV setting to ensure desired storage level.
Yes. I think it's because of the higher voltage the LiHV has, storage voltage is around 3.9v/cell instead of regular lipos that are around 3.75 to 3.85v/cell (with my charger at least, SkyRC T200)

Back