Chargeable AA batteries

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrgoodwrench35

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Does anyone use chargeable AA batteries for their transmitters? I hate using disposable batteries and avoid it whenever I can. I've tried multiple brands of rechargeable. The majority of them I'm using now are tenergy brand and I've had good luck with them. Just curious what everyone else uses.

I also recently discovered they make lipo AA batteries. I bought a set to try without realizing they are a bit higher voltage than a standard AA battery. with 4 of them in my FlySky GT5, the voltage is a full volt or better higher than when using standard AA batteries. Has anyone else tried these? Will this damage the transmitter? I know that it powers up and functions like normal but I wonder if it will cause problems long term.

no all mine can take lipos even my VOM 's .but I've heard eneloop's by Panasonic are real good

Last edited:
I use Tenergy rechargeable and have for years.

the slight voltage increase in your charged batteries will not hurt radio if your worried that it will put a Zeiner diode inline..

I haven't. I use Duracell Procell AA. Buy them in a bulk 24 pack. They are industrial grade & they last a long time & don't corrode. I've had Energizer industrial type corrode.

Eneloop Pro or Turnigy Premium Pro rechargeables - best you're gonna get for the money. Great batteries.

Standard Alkaline batteries are 1.5v. So a rechargeable Lion battery isn't going to hurt your Tx.

Last edited:
Picked up a set of four (4) Spektrum 2100mAh rechargeables to try. And have a set of four (4) Ray-O-Vac rechargeables I rotate in once in a while. One drawback to using them for me is they don't want to charge much about 1.4V. And for my use, take alkalines out of rotation when cell voltage drops below 1.2V per cell (4.8V overall). So, at 1.4V the rechargeables don't offer much of a window for use. And, also, rechargeables lose their charge sitting and the alkalines do not.

Looking at making the move to a LiFe battery pack for my Futaba 4PLS radio. It's a direct plug-in fit after unplugging and slipping out the AA tray. That might be a consideration in your case too if there is a pack that will fit or an adapter for your FlySky?

LiFe Pack

Hope this helps your decision-making process. Good luck. Cheers. -AC

20240309_124335_resize.jpg

20240310_122837_resize.jpg

Picked up a set of four (4) Spektrum 2100mAh rechargeables to try. And have a set of four (4) Ray-O-Vac rechargeables I rotate in once in a while. One drawback to using them for me is they don't want to charge much about 1.4V. And for my use, take alkalines out of rotation when cell voltage drops below 1.2V per cell (4.8V overall). So, at 1.4V the rechargeables don't offer much of a window for use. And, also, rechargeables lose their charge sitting and the alkalines do not.

Looking at making the move to a LiFe battery pack for my Futaba 4PLS radio. It's a direct plug-in fit after unplugging and slipping out the AA tray. That might be a consideration in your case too if there is a pack that will fit or an adapter for your FlySky?

LiFe Pack

Hope this helps your decision-making process. Good luck. Cheers. -AC

View attachment 189261

View attachment 189262
Neither of those AA rechargeables you mentioned are good. Yes, those will not hold a charge. Eneloop Pro's - I put them in my transmitters and can go back months later and they are still good enough to use without recharging. The Tenergy batteries are the same. They are called "low self discharge" batteries because they will hold their charge for over a year.

One drawback I've noticed to using lipos in my transmitter is the low battery warning. On the FSGT5 anyway, it usually gives me an audible warning when the voltage gets low. Doesn't seem to work with lipos. If your not paying attention to the voltage display, it will just shut off with no warning. That lesson cost me a front bumper for the notorious.

Flysky says 2S lipo is OK, low voltage alarm is at 4.4v for AA, and 7.4v for lipo.

NiMh are only 1.2v/cell, so 4.8v total, Alkaline are 1.5v so 6v total.

The current set of lipo AA's I have say 1.5v per cell. That must be midrange. Fully charged my transmitter shows 6.3.

I also use the Eneloop Pros (Panasonic), they're great, highly recommended. Only transmitter I have a lipo for is the RC8X, and it is the radiolink branded battery pack. Funny how this is coming up, but I am in the process of searching for a proper lipo charger. But, for double As, I definitely recommend the Eneloop Pros, they work really well, and hold a charge for a very long time.

we all use different radio bats.its all in your bugget just dont use Ni-zm a one and done battery

Back