Castle software and IE nightmare

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I have the Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 75 ESC/BEC, and the software needs to be downloaded through Internet Explorer. I use Firefox, but keep IE around as a backup. Well, it won't start. It opens a blank page, then locks up.
I'm unable to install it because it quits and tells me I have a more recent version in my computer. I'm also unable to uninstall the current version to start all over because it tells me I need permission.
I'm the owner/operator of this computer with full admin privileges, so whose permission is it looking for? Billy Gates?
It's only Vista and 7 that require the installation through IE.

How can I remove IE and do a clean install?

Thermite grenade on the hard drive? Seriously though, have you tried downloading the latest version of IE from Microsoft?

I also checked on Castle's website and they have no browser download restrictions so you should be able to right click on the link in Firefox and select save as. The only thing they do say is that you need to update your MS .net software to at least 3.5.

There's an orange area on the lower right JUST for Vista and 7.
I tried the IE download from half a dozen sites including MS, and kept getting the same message.

Dunno, but it seems to work fine in Chrome!

---------- Post added at 9:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:27 PM ----------

There's an orange area on the lower right JUST for Vista and 7.
I tried the IE download from half a dozen sites including MS, and kept getting the same message.

Remove and re-install IE.

Remove and re-install IE.
I've spent hours trying to do just that. I don't have permission to remove it, and I can't install a new version.
I'm even unable to change the ownership of the folder from "Trusted installer" to my administrator account.
After a LOT of research, turns out the trusted installer is Microsoft, and no matter what you do, you can't get it out of their OS.
Thanks again Bill, for coming up with Vista.
You just might have pushed me over the line to Linux.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure 98, xp, vista all have the browser being used as part of the rendering engine for the OS. So you can't run a windows box without IE installed.

I'm still running XP... no IE9 for me. I use FF 98% of the time anyway.

Firefox is all I EVER use, and this is only the second time I had to use IE. The last time was for some patch from Microsoft.

Install Chrome, and try with that. If it still doesn't work, start looking for malware, trojans, viruses.

The program will only download properly through IE on Vista and 7, so it's not another browser that will correct it.
However, I have a laptop with XP, and I just finished installing the program with no problems, even though it went through FF.

I have Windows 7, and I use Chrome, and had no problems.