Castle BEC- How hot is too hot?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeeenuuutt

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
My e revo 1.5 now has a castle BEC and I finally finished repairing my receiver. The only problem I’m having is heat. How hot are these things supposed to get? For those running high input voltage, does yours get hot as well? Should I be worried?

My setup is 2 fans (soon to be 3) and 2 savox 0231MG servos (416oz of torque) and the BEC is on 6v. It’s in this waterproof receiver box I installed:

It gets hot for my liking a little too quick for my liking. Is it because of the high input voltage of 6s? If that’s the case, will it just heat up (till whatever safe temp?) and then stop getting hotter?

lol thanks for the tag. I actually really hope someone has an answer, because currently it’s gonna be parked till I figure it out.

Answer = sell Traxxas and buy Arrma. Problem solved ?
Happy now? ;)

For everyone whose actually serious with that argument, not a single electronic on that truck is traxxas. Servos are savox, one fan is yeahracing, motor is hobbystar, esc is a (fine, Traxxas rebranded mxl 6s) mm2. Must I add, thankfully, Traxxas has put no detune or program modifications to it :D, it’s identical apart from the color and stickers. The fan is also a castle.

Happy now? ;)
View attachment 30717
For everyone whose actually serious with that argument, not a single electronic on that truck is traxxas. Servos are savox, one fan is yeahracing, motor is hobbystar, esc is a (fine, Traxxas rebranded mxl 6s) mm2. Must I add, thankfully, Traxxas has put no detune or program modifications to it :D, it’s identical apart from the color and stickers. The fan is also a castle.

I'm just breaking balls. It's good to see you actually own an Arrma though. I was starting to wonder ?

I'm just breaking balls. It's good to see you actually own an Arrma though. I was starting to wonder ?
Hahah, it’s not you I was worried about, it was the others LOL

To be honest, my senton is just...there. Not breaking and stuff. Really I only change stuff if somethings not good enough, and if you haven’t heard of my senton much, well that’s because I haven’t done a single thing to it (aside from replacing the front bumper)

I run 6s only in both my rigs.The stock esc is fine, it passed my stress test. Motor I have on the high speed pinion, also fine. Stock servo has been fine. Really, it’s boooring.

Edit: it’s almost a year old by the way.

Last edited:
Bump... please... someone

Thats news to me, never heard someone say that ever. And all the plane/heli guys have no choice because most of their esc's don't even have a BEC to power the receiver in the first place, so a bypass isn't an option.

If someone can back him up, then I'm screwed, because my mxl's BEC ground wire is donezo.

If you aren't using this, your receiver is going to be powered from two sources, your ESC and your BEC. The BEC is getting hot because its being backfed from the receiver.

This is why this is in the Castle instructions;

"Note: CC BEC 2.0 should never be operated in series or parallel with another BEC or backup receiver pack connected to the RX/Servo side of the circuit."

I am very much aware. That's why the esc's BEC has been disconnected (just like castle says) from the receiver ever since I put the BEC in, just like how everyone else has been doing it for years.

Look I really don't want to come off as rude but if my issue was one manual away or one google search away I wouldn't be wasting people's time on the forum. Guess I'll just call castle.

Last edited:
The bypass adapter achieves the same thing as disconnecting the red wire between your ESC and Rx, it just makes it so you don't have to cut any wires.

Yw67297_zpsiuxbvgl4.gif

You don't have to cut any wires normally. I didn't. All you have to do is pull the red wire and connector out of the small plastic ESC JST plug that goes to the receiver. The only bypass connectors I've ever seen were for bypassing the receiver to run a servo only, like the one you linked.

I think you shouldn't put it in a sealed box. These BEC's get warm, not hot, if they have some cooling from driving your rc.

Last edited:
Hmmm, ok. How should I go about waterproofing it?

I did the moronic thing that I don’t recommend any of you ever do.

I took no advice and ran the truck how I had it setup. In my defense I didn’t have any plastidip on me.

The results? None. No problems. I’m sooo happy you guys don’t understand, this truck really is high maintainence and to have it running is always a great time :D:D

Last edited:
You can dip it in plastidip or cover it in shoegoo.
I would have to assume that coating the thing in plastidip/shoegoo is just as bad, if not worse than putting in a waterproof box. The plastidip/shoegoo will insulate it just as badly, unless you scrape the goo off the fets so they can breath.

I did the moronic thing that I don’t recommend any of you.

I took no advice and ran the truck how I had it setup. In my defense I didn’t have any plastidip on me.

The results? None. No problems. I’m sooo happy you guys don’t understand, this truck really is high maintainence and to have it running is always a great time :D:D
I get you, also owned a Revo

Back