can't start NB16 nitro buggy after 2 years of lying around.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroNewby

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey new here hoping someone can help me out. I bought this little buggy(NB16) about 2 years back and after the first time i ran it i could not get i to start again so has been away for 2 years. I have finnaly got it out to have a messaround with it and have tried for about 3 hours trying to get it to start with no luck the nitro buggy has the following specs 0.5 Toki engine(missing 2 hex screws out of the engine bay so it wobbles back and forth! Could this be the reason?!.
Iam using model technics molecular branded fuel qwick fire 16glow fuel.
My glow plug is fine and fully charged so i know thats not the problem.
Have tried blocking exhaust and pulling pull start at the same time still no luck. Am thinking of selling it but would need to get it working first.

It has not been tuned as i have no idea how to do it.
I have just "flushed to edges" and reset it to how it was when it came.

Any ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:
Whether or not the fuel was stored properly could mean it is no good anymore. When you plug the exhaust can you see fuel shooting into the carb?

Hi thanks for quick reply I have had he fuel for ages but has been kept in a bottle and some in the car for 2 years. no when i block the exhaust i can't see any fuel going into the carb

Hi thanks for quick reply I have had he fuel for ages but has been kept in a bottle and some in the car for 2 years. no when i block the exhaust i can't see any fuel going into the carb

If then, there might be a leak in the fuel tank or fuel line, Check the O-ring seal on the fuel tank cap if there is one. or try to blow air in to the tank from the hoese goes to the exaust with ur mouth, see if it you can hear the air leakage, make sure its clean tho :)

gl

A couple things to consider=
1 - I can't say I've ever heard of Technics brand fuel. Typically even if a high quality brand is stored in absolute perfect conditions it probably wouldnt last stored unused for 2+ years.

2 - The fact that you stored the car with fuel in it for 2+ years is a nono for most of us. As the fuel slowly evaporates it leaves all of the oils and additives behind which in turn can and typically do gum up the engine making it impossible to start when you go to tinker with it again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwHvMWKr-_c"]How to clean an RC kit, engine, and air filter - YouTube[/ame]

This will point you in the right direction for cleaning

and

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwDy-I0Z4I"]How to seal an RC engine from air leaks - YouTube[/ame]

this will help you get it running better during reassembly

Good Luck!!

You can also try removing the high and low speed needels on the carb and shoot a couple shots of carb cleaner through them.

You can also try removing the high and low speed needels on the carb and shoot a couple shots of carb cleaner through them.

Hi got it started left it running for 5+ mins. Havnt cleaned it though as the tools i ordered have not arrived yet..is there anything else i should do before taling it out or should i really clean it first? Thanks for the help
Ps should i clean it after every run like empty fuel out of it after every run? If so how? Thanks

You really shoudl clean it first and seal it.....I would at least but its your kit bro :)

+1 Greywolf

IMO - I would at least make a point to run it empty instead of leaving fuel in it. A good cleaning and seal is what I would do but again.......Its your ride!!!

You really shoudl clean it first and seal it.....I would at least but its your kit bro :)

Hi thanks for the reply. I have just watched the buggy empty a full tank of fuel in less than 30 mins would you say this was normal? And there is alot of fuel under the chasis of the buggy and have no idea where its coming from any suggestions?! Sorry to sound stupid but what do you mean by seal it? Thanks for the help btw;)

---------- Post added at 4:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:12 PM ----------

+1 Greywolf

IMO - I would at least make a point to run it empty instead of leaving fuel in it. A good cleaning and seal is what I would do but again.......Its your ride!!!

Hi- yes will make sure to run it empty after each use. Thanks