Can the Kyosho Raider 2wd handle brushless?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I want to upgrade it to brushless to get a little more efficiency and speed out of it, the motor‘s capacitor recently popped with a ton of smoke, it still works tho. I found some cheap Surpass Hobby combos, they are in the 3300kv - 5900kv range and the can size is 380 in a 540 outer cover. So, would the diff and other gears handle one on 2s?

On 2s I wouldn’t worry at all. Product description says there’s an optional slipper pad for higher powered motors. 2wd is less worries too. Not sure if I’d put 3s on a cheaper motor anyway.

Not an expert but I’d even be comfortable without the optional slipper pad on 2s. Those 380 in 540 can grool and bangood think I’ve heard they’re meant for haiboxing 1/12 to 1/16 stuff but have seen videos of people put them in a voltage, ecx or similar and it goes faster and they’re happy.

For a few dollars more (80$) I used the onyx combo in a stampede. Few dollars more than that there’s a bunch of options at 100$ spektrum, hobbywing might be the minimum I’d use 3s with. Dealing the gears after the fact shouldn’t be an issue if need be not sure if doing that would put anything else at risk than some 10$ gears.

On 2s I wouldn’t worry at all. Product description says there’s an optional slipper pad for higher powered motors. 2wd is less worries too. Not sure if I’d put 3s on a cheaper motor anyway.

Not an expert but I’d even be comfortable without the optional slipper pad on 2s. Those 380 in 540 can grool and bangood think I’ve heard they’re meant for haiboxing 1/12 to 1/16 stuff but have seen videos of people put them in a voltage, ecx or similar and it goes faster and they’re happy.

For a few dollars more (80$) I used the onyx combo in a stampede. Few dollars more than that there’s a bunch of options at 100$ spektrum, hobbywing might be the minimum I’d use 3s with. Dealing the gears after the fact shouldn’t be an issue if need be not sure if doing that would put anything else at risk than some 10$ gears.
Well, it’s a 30 year old rc, I don’t want to destroy the transmission since it‘s literally impossible to find those parts for it. Maybe when Kyosho re-releases the car, I will do it.

It would be interesting to find out but honestly I believe you answered your own question.
They are rare and parts are hard to come by. I wouldn't touch it if it were mine.

Just because someone is "going brushless" doesn't necessarily mean they are dumping gobs of power into their RC. Just like brushed motors, you can choose how much power you want in a brushless motor.

Those F540 (F=Finned) brushless motors are great for lighter weight 2wd RCs. The smaller 380 size rotors, stuffed inside a finned-out size 540 can, pack a small punch. At one point, OFNA used to put those little powerplants in their RTR 4wd SCTs, and 4wd ST/mini truggy. My first Hobbywing EZRun ESC/motor combo (2010) had a 4300kv motor... great motor, but (IMO) almost too much speed for my ST needs. Luckily, I had a radio with throttle EPA to tone the motor down a bit.

As far as one of them "blast from the past" Kyosho Raider, I would not use anything greater than one of them 3300kv F540 motors. If I had to give an approximate comparison... a brushless 3300kv motor would feel like a 15T brushed motor. Just notice I said approximate, because the quality of different brands can vary greatly, and using a 6 cell NiXx pack, or 2 cell LiPo will give different results as well.

Just because someone is "going brushless" doesn't necessarily mean they are dumping gobs of power into their RC. Just like brushed motors, you can choose how much power you want in a brushless motor.

Those F540 (F=Finned) brushless motors are great for lighter weight 2wd RCs. The smaller 380 size rotors, stuffed inside a finned-out size 540 can, pack a small punch. At one point, OFNA used to put those little powerplants in their RTR 4wd SCTs, and 4wd ST/mini truggy. My first Hobbywing EZRun ESC/motor combo (2010) had a 4300kv motor... great motor, but (IMO) almost too much speed for my ST needs. Luckily, I had a radio with throttle EPA to tone the motor down a bit.

As far as one of them "blast from the past" Kyosho Raider, I would not use anything greater than one of them 3300kv F540 motors. If I had to give an approximate comparison... a brushless 3300kv motor would feel like a 15T brushed motor. Just notice I said approximate, because the quality of different brands can vary greatly, and using a 6 cell NiXx pack, or 2 cell LiPo will give different results as well.
I currently run a 22T brushed motor on a 2s lipo in it. I will go brushless if Kyosho re-releases the car.

I have a brushless Raider that just hit 56 mph the other day. : ) I am "careful" with the gearbox but I am sure I am not doing it any favors. I have several videos on how I progressed from brushed in the low 20s mph to brushless in the mid 50s.... and 2S to 3S. I am running a cheap Surpass Hobby 4370 kv 9t 380 sized motors in a 540 can.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2WztgtojiKq-cuDqxNbByQ

I currently run a 22T brushed motor on a 2s lipo in it. I will go brushless if Kyosho re-releases the car.
Can you GPS the speed on the car? I have always wanted to see how fast it is stock (IDK if you have the original Mega motor 22T motor..... but it should be close enough).:thumbs-up:

Can you GPS the speed on the car? I have always wanted to see how fast it is stock (IDK if you have the original Mega motor 22T motor..... but it should be close enough).:thumbs-up:
I will once I put a new capacitor on the motor, the original popped and it has reduced range due to RF interferance.

Awesome. I broke down and am running a cheap DumboRC 2.4 ghz setup and I love it! Though, I am still running and old school transmitter/receiver on my Big Brute.

So you are running the stock Mega Motor?

Awesome. I broke down and am running a cheap DumboRC 2.4 ghz setup and I love it! Though, I am still running and old school transmitter/receiver on my Big Brute.

So you are running the stock Mega Motor?
I am running a LeMans 240st motor.

Sweet, I bet that is on par with the stock 22 turn Mega Motor.

I am going to guess it goes about 20. Figure on a NiCD it would be about 85% as fast (lower voltage) so we will get an idea what it would do stock.
It just snowed where I live so I can’t run it anytime soon. It goes pretty fast, I need to check which pinion gear is in it.

It just snowed where I live so I can’t run it anytime soon. It goes pretty fast, I need to check which pinion gear is in it.
Yeah, same here! I was getting ready to do a 60 mph attempt in my Ultima Pro XL but that is going to have to wait a little.

I would be curious as to what idle gear it has. The stock gearing in the Raider is not set up for speed at all. It may still have the stock 14 tooth pinion and 36 tooth idle gear. Once I put the 32 tooth idle gear in mine and I put a 17 tooth pinion in it (I have vidoes on my Youtube channel on how to put bigger than the "max" of a 15t pinion (according to Kyosho) in the car - it now runs an 18 tooth) it was a lot faster at 28 mph on a 15 turn brushed motor but it lost a lot of acceleration and got my vintage ESC really hot really quickly.

My brushless setup loves the 32 tooth idle gear/18 tooth pinion combo and it rips!

Last edited:
Back