Can someone help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviousduck

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My friend and I were having a discussion the other day as to what is the fastest off road nitro 4WD truck! Nevertheless we never concluded on the answer.. of which could be 2 i think. Fastest out the box and fastest after mods! 1/10 or 1/8 scale. Could anyone please help in settle this matter for us, your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

In the 1/10th scale, I would have to say it's the Traxxas Revo 3.3. These are the monster truck of choice for a lot of serious racers.

If your just talking off raod nitro 4x4 I would guess a Schumacher Menace 21 with 3 speed....they claim 65-70 mph

I have a feeling, though the 1/8th scale weigh more, almost ten pounds, they can handle more beating and "abuse". My opinion..... never went for 1/10 scale experience myself.

Thanks for your comments. Can you tell me of the ones mentioned so far, or even those that may be mentioned.. how they compare to a tamiya nitrage with the 2-speed gear box!!

thanks again!!

Out of the box I don't think any 4x4 offroad nitro will touch the Schumacher Menace 21 for speed. When you get into modded rigs one brand can be just as fast as another.

Last edited:
The Traxxas Jato with 3.3 engine is supposed to do 65 or so, according to Traxxas advertising. Their road car with 3.3 is supposed to do 70 or so.

The Traxxas Jato with 3.3 engine is supposed to do 65 or so, according to Traxxas advertising. Their road car with 3.3 is supposed to do 70 or so.

Both are very fast but he asked about 4x4 off road....the Jato is 2wd and the 4tec isn't off road

Jato and the 4Tec aren't 4wd though.

The 4tec is 4wd, isn't it? It would never hook up if it wasn't...

My bad, thought it was 2wd.

But he did say 4wd truck!

Changing the subject slightly!!

I decided to buy a truggy! I have bought an LRP S8-TX RTR. Had a few problems as it was badly built and not enough advice was given from the people selling it! (as this is my first nitro car) Also noticed a few things with this thing! First of all the shocks are crap with this thing, It would not bounce back up into position, the guy at LRP that I phoned said it was the oil I had used, Took it to the local RC shop and the guy there said he was talkin rubbish the springs were no where near strong enough for the big bore shocks. Solved that by fitting some springs off the shocks of a mantis! But the biggest problem was that the idiots who put the kit together didnt use a drop of thread lock... and nowhere and no-one told me I should strip it and do it myself!!! So anyway as you could imagine when I got the thing running on an off-road scrambling track It didnt fair too well for too long!!! After the cooler (heatsink thingy) on the motor fell off. was put back on, then grub screws came out of drive shafts, motor fell off the engine block, engine block screws fell out of base plate!!! etc, etc. You can imagine the rest!!! As a result I may need to replace the motor, and require some info and advice to help me decide whether to repair the motor I have or buy a new one. I have done a bit of reseach myself and get very conflicting information!! Alot of the place I'm reading the picco p3 monster or something from novarossi is the way to go for speed and power but when I look at the motor stats they seem to be kickin out around 2.9hp. My truggy at the moment has an LRP Z.28R motor which apparently kicks out 3.8 hp. now my brain is frazzled and I dunno what to think anymore!!! Could you please provide me with as much info as possible..
As an added note I will say that although I am not a competition racer, This is a hobby I enjoy and that said money is of no importance, I just want to have fun and build a beast of a truggy!!!

Enough of my rambling now, Thanks in advance for any help!!! and I hope this helps anyone about to buy an RTR from LRP. (It does go like poop off a shovel though) ;-P

Sounds like a lot of over exaggerated Bull poop!

Welcome to the fun and frustration of the hobby devious.
If a schmuck built and sold you a car, you already know that frustration...

Thread-lock - Almost all metal to metal screws and grubs require thread-lock.
One exception - the screws holding in the cooling head.
Yes, I realize that your head came off, but that could be due to improper tightening process by the previous owner.

Don't listen to competing advertised claims of horsepower, there's a lot of subjectivity and variables when it comes to this aspect of the sport.
All three engines that you mentioned are good engines and have their fans.
Personally, I prefer Novarossi engines and also run several Picco's.
A lot of guys on this site like their LRP's.

If the bearings feel smooth and inside of the cylinder has good even wear, no scratches, and good compression, I'd try and save your current engine before buying another one.
Worst case, you'll learn a thing or two while you decide which engine you want to buy.

Why would I waste my time writing all that to ask for advice if it never really happened? Dont get me wrong I am very happy with the quality of the car just not the assembly and the shocks are crap. I'm not a child trying to waste your time on forums I'm a 29 year old guy who genuinely wants help an to warn others of my misfortune.

Please take your time 2 help.

Welcome to the fun and frustration of the hobby devious.
If a schmuck built and sold you a car, you already know that frustration...

Thread-lock - Almost all metal to metal screws and grubs require thread-lock.
One exception - the screws holding in the cooling head.
Yes, I realize that your head came off, but that could be due to improper tightening process by the previous owner.

Don't listen to competing advertised claims of horsepower, there's a lot of subjectivity and variables when it comes to this aspect of the sport.
All three engines that you mentioned are good engines and have their fans.
Personally, I prefer Novarossi engines and also run several Picco's.
A lot of guys on this site like their LRP's.

If the bearings feel smooth and inside of the cylinder has good even wear, no scratches, and good compression, I'd try and save your current engine before buying another one.
Worst case, you'll learn a thing or two while you decide which engine you want to buy.

Thanks for the advice on the engines but it is a 1 week old brand new RTR, LRP Built it, has no previous owners.

Thanks again :D

Yeah, I realized that AFTER I submitted my response. lol
Oh well, ignore the part about previous owners - everything else still applies.
Sounds like poor quality control on LRP's part.

Back