Can I get a nitro guide the starts at the beginning? No one starts at the beginning.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took it to this guy with lots of experience and we managed to start it and get it idling. He did stuff that is mentioned in no guides. People really need to put this stuff in their guides!

Firstly he said that my rotostart is not powerful enough so he got out an ACTUAL power drill. He left the igniter on quite a long time. Much longer than I was. And he span the engine for a good 6-8 seconds even when it was sounding like it was starting to fire he kept spinning. He'd then pump the throttle on the radio and it sounded like the engine cleared it's throat and suddenly burst into life. He also did something with my linkages and servo horn.

I'm sure those youtubers are paid off by banggood to edit all this out. Cause they imply it can just start straight out the box with a pull starter when we had to use an actual power drill to start it.

His advice to me was buy a power drill. We even used the same rubbish igniter I was using to start it.

It's night time now so I can't do the break in yet.
🤣 Not everyone is sponsored by Banggood.

There is another good channel I follow on youtube. Haggard RC. Go look him up. He does a great job showing the struggles starting nitro engines.

I start mine with a pull start no issues as does MANY people. So it's not about the power of the drill start.

But I'm glad you got it sorted out and now you can go ahead and break in the engine and enjoy the nitro.

🤣 Not everyone is sponsored by Banggood.

There is another good channel I follow on youtube. Haggard RC. Go look him up. He does a great job showing the struggles starting nitro engines.

I start mine with a pull start no issues as does MANY people. So it's not about the power of the drill start.

But I'm glad you got it sorted out and now you can go ahead and break in the engine and enjoy the nitro.

Yes right after telling me my rotostart is not powerful enough he started his nitro with a pull starter, first pull without even priming it. And said it was just because it was broken in and mine will start easy like this after break in.

Still it makes me wonder how the sellers of this car thought you'd have any chance of starting a non broken in engine with a pull start then...

Yes right after telling me my rotostart is not powerful enough he started his nitro with a pull starter, first pull without even priming it. And said it was just because it was broken in and mine will start easy like this after break in.

Still it makes me wonder how the sellers of this car thought you'd have any chance of starting a non broken in engine with a pull start then...
:D Alls well that ends well. At least you got it started.

I recently bought a second hand nitro, but with a new engine and I needed to break in it. I managed to snap the pull start because of the new engine.

Watch my video below on how I started it after fixing the pull start with just some heat to make the piston move easier.
And true as nuts, I didn't have to pull long.... 😂

Many people start non-broken engines in with pull starts. The only thing with that is that there is more resistance when the engine is new, and that if you're not careful you can break the cord. Generally heating the engine up sufficiently alleviates this.

IMO your issue is a couple of factors combining to make it difficult. The igniter isn't the best. You probably were a bit flooded - and when it's like that you need to let the starter spin a little longer to get it going. Also, similarly, if you're not "quite" primed, letting the starter spin a little longer will prime it and get fuel where it needs to be to initiate combustion. This is all also achievable with a pull start, it's just more of a pain. Rapid, short pulls does the trick. Believe it or not, those pulls are spinning the engine faster than the rotostart is.

:D Alls well that ends well. At least you got it started.

I recently bought a second hand nitro, but with a new engine and I needed to break in it. I managed to snap the pull start because of the new engine.

Watch my video below on how I started it after fixing the pull start with just some heat to make the piston move easier.
And true as nuts, I didn't have to pull long.... 😂

Nice subbed.

I'm sure I noticed you do something to start the engine that a lot of these "beginner" or "my nitro wont start" guides fail to mention. That's cracking open the carb manually by manipulating the servo horn with your hand. I see a ton of guys do this. And the guy started my engine with this method.

Is this some secret method or something ;) Seems no guide mentions it. But it's perfect to start an engine that's being a pain.

Is this some secret method or something ;) Seems no guide mentions it. But it's perfect to start an engine that's being a pain.

Ideally you don't need to do it, and that only works if your radio is off and you don't have a throttle return spring (also, not recommended for either).

Nice subbed.

I'm sure I noticed you do something to start the engine that a lot of these "beginner" or "my nitro wont start" guides fail to mention. That's cracking open the carb manually by manipulating the servo horn with your hand. I see a ton of guys do this. And the guy started my engine with this method.

Cool thanks!

I gave it some throttle trim (same thing really, but via the radio).

What really happened there was me being a dummy and trying to retard the throttle with my hand/servo while the radio was on. So I was adjusting it, then it would go back to it's position. Duh. :doh: Until I realized I needed to return the throttle trim to the normal position on the radio. But then I accidently turned it the wrong way and the car sped up. Very evident from the video. 🤣🤣🤣 It was the first time I started a nitro so the adrenaline was pumping and that fogged up the brain. 😂

But as Johnnymd mentioned, that is also a legit way if your radio is off.

I still say you car was not primed properly, which is why the guy was cranking it for so long, it was still sucking in fuel.

Any car will start first pull, as long as its tuned semi ok, and primed properly.

Where did you manage to find these cars at factory prices?

I still say you car was not primed properly, which is why the guy was cranking it for so long, it was still sucking in fuel.

Any car will start first pull, as long as its tuned semi ok, and primed properly.

Where did you manage to find these cars at factory prices?

Close to factory. There's still some middle men taking a cut I live in China and use an app and buy directly from factory stores.

Car is now starting """easily""" and I'm currently breaking it in using heat cycle method.

I say easily, it IS starting. I'm not having any fails. But I am spinning that sucker up with my rotostart for a good few seconds. It's not the quick 1 second blast I see in a lot of videos.

I'm also pumping the throttle while doing it so I've got the car up on a stand.

Update: I'm now half way through breaking in and it's starting with a quick bump now. No extended spinning.

Last edited:
Update 2 trying to continue break in outside. Having same issue I had with the old engine before it blew.

Basically throttle response is not 1:1. Sometimes opening throttle does nothing to engine speed. Sometimes it does. Car has hardly any power and opening wot kills the engine. And it someone's raises revs for no reason by itself.

Video https://streamable.com/k6z62a

Last edited:
Well, it hasn't been tuned yet. If you haven't broken it in and tuned yet. That is what happens.

How many turns is the HSN out?
Is it flush with the brass fitting, or even more out than that?
Sounds waaaaaay to rich, even for break in!

How many turns is the HSN out?
Is it flush with the brass fitting, or even more out than that?
Sounds waaaaaay to rich, even for break in!

It's flush in the video. About 4 turns out. What I was recommended for break in.

I've leaned it a bit now and it's performing better. https://streamable.com/nvhxzr

This is at half throttle and if I'm gentle the revs climb. Being agressive and opening the throttle more than half just makes the engine bog though.

I've also got this issue which it seems means I can't go straight no matter how much I try to trim. How do I adjust this https://streamable.com/uipimg

Been like this from day one

It's flush in the video. About 4 turns out. What I was recommended for break in.

I've leaned it a bit now and it's performing better. https://streamable.com/nvhxzr

This is at half throttle and if I'm gentle the revs climb. Being agressive and opening the throttle more than half just makes the engine bog though.

I've also got this issue which it seems means I can't go straight no matter how much I try to trim. How do I adjust this https://streamable.com/uipimg

Been like this from day one
There ya go mate.
Sounds really good now, break in wise.
Keep going like this for 5 tanks, then let it rip.
Lean it more and have fun with it.
Love the officer on the far right look at it and going WTF.
Lovely square, lots of space, crash proof.
What city are you from?

Put steering trim to neutral, then adjust the steering linkage to be as straight as it can. Then adjust with steering trim for small corrections. If that makes sense. Might even need to remove the servo horn and adjust that way.

There ya go mate.
Sounds really good now, break in wise.
Keep going like this for 5 tanks, then let it rip.
Lean it more and have fun with it.
Love the officer on the far right look at it and going WTF.
Lovely square, lots of space, crash proof.
What city are you from?

Put steering trim to neutral, then adjust the steering linkage to be as straight as it can. Then adjust with steering trim for small corrections. If that makes sense. Might even need to remove the servo horn and adjust that way.

I live in Taizhou Jiangsu.

How long have you been running the same glow plug? What percent nitro fuel? Sounds from what I can gather in your video the midrange tuning is out of sync with low speed and high speed tuning

How long have you been running the same glow plug? What percent nitro fuel? Sounds from what I can gather in your video the midrange tuning is out of sync with low speed and high speed tuning

It's a new OS number 8 I put into this engine. Only ran it for break in so far so just a day. I'm using 20%

I took it out and ran a few more tanks, started leaning the HSN out and I feel it's running better and better.
I think I'm hitting second gear and seems these nitros have the powerband of those old Porsche turbos lol. Suddenly power and revs just explode at the top end. It's going a lot faster than I was expecting and it's a bit of a handful for my experience level if I'm honest.

Well I crashed into a curb and knocked one of the dog bones out so I'll have to repair it. And find a more open space.

In the end a combination of small things added up to cause me to be unsuccessful for 2 weeks before now. And I'm not sure if they are just unique to this line of HSP products or my specific engine or what.

- The stock glow plugs were bad. Switching to OS seems to have helped.
- The stock igniter is bad, switching to a lipo helped
- The manual gives the wrong needle settings
- The engine had never been started before and was especially tight. Without using a hairdryer it was almost impossible to move with a pull starter
- The car came with a pull starter, changing it to a drill start helped. Like I said for the first start we had to use a power drill for a good while to get it to fire. If I hadn't replaced the pull start with a drill start I don't think I would have ever got the damn thing started. I'm sure it would be fine on a pull start now, but when it was pre break in... no chance.

All in all. This product needs a giant asterisk next to "Ready to run".

I wish these points could be added to the beginner guides to prevent other people being as frustrated as I was.

I took it out and ran a few more tanks, started leaning the HSN out and I feel it's running better and better.
I think I'm hitting second gear and seems these nitros have the powerband of those old Porsche turbos lol. Suddenly power and revs just explode at the top end. It's going a lot faster than I was expecting and it's a bit of a handful for my experience level if I'm honest.

Well I crashed into a curb and knocked one of the dog bones out so I'll have to repair it. And find a more open space.

In the end a combination of small things added up to cause me to be unsuccessful for 2 weeks before now. And I'm not sure if they are just unique to this line of HSP products or my specific engine or what.

- The stock glow plugs were bad. Switching to OS seems to have helped.
- The stock igniter is bad, switching to a lipo helped
- The manual gives the wrong needle settings
- The engine had never been started before and was especially tight. Without using a hairdryer it was almost impossible to move with a pull starter
- The car came with a pull starter, changing it to a drill start helped. Like I said for the first start we had to use a power drill for a good while to get it to fire. If I hadn't replaced the pull start with a drill start I don't think I would have ever got the damn thing started. I'm sure it would be fine on a pull start now, but when it was pre break in... no chance.

All in all. This product needs a giant asterisk next to "Ready to run".

I wish these points could be added to the beginner guides to prevent other people being as frustrated as I was.
So we learn hey. :)

Since getting a nitro, I've had to learn a helluva lot quickly, but now I can talk some nitro. lol.

Regarding not turning the engine with a pull start when new, heat does wonders to expand that sleeve to make the piston move with the pull start. I'm sure it would have worked if the engine was toasty. I tried a hairdryer. Didn't give enough heat until I got a proper heatgun.

I'm just glad you are sorted. Sorry about the crash, but hey, things happen. I will also be looking for a more open space to run my last few run in tanks. I'm too scared I'll smash it before I get a change to enjoy it properly. lol.