Building an Off-Road Track

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Well, my next project isn't a rig.. I need a track nearby. I just happen to have a space of about 40' by 60', and i can extend it to 50'x70' if needed.

Against the bottom of the track I have a raised porch already wired with electric, that will function as a drivers stand. I have never designed a track layout, and don't have the first clue on where to start, I have been watching videos, and I know how to physically make it, but the actual layout is where I am having problems.

This post is to keep track of the build from start to finish. Hopefully I can get some answers to some question and etc as well.

First for an 1:8th offroad track that will probably never see more than 4 or 5 people on it at a time how wide should I make the lanes?

On banked turns say a u turn what deg is the bank normally at?

Basically I want to draw out my design, then I will get a dump of dirt. and flatten out the lanes. I have to find where to get clay for building the jumps and etc on top of the flat layout. I expect this build to take quite a while, at least a few months maybe more, but when I am done I would like to have a decent home track. I am not going to bother with transponders and the like, I doubt it will ever be a serious racing track.

If there is anyone out there that knows a bit and wants to give me a hand in the design, I would be in your debt.

Good luck with the build. IMO a 50'X70' patch for 5ish 1/8 buggiestrucks is a bit small. I would think 10'-12' lane width is a must. Be sure to post pics and again good luck

Thanks Phins, once the area is cleared I will be able to see exactly how much I can extend the boundries. Right now there is a large structure there, so its a bit hard to visualize. At least now I know the width and I can start playing with some crude drawings.

I actually found a track layout that I may be able to use, tell me what you think.

540630d1263268649-hill-camp-courtney-rc-park-okinawa-japan-crandon_rc_track.jpg

10-12 feet is WAY wider than we race on now, we run 8 ft lanes with planty of room for 10 1/8 scale buggies, that would give you plenty of room IMO.

you can use lime on your jumps and burms to help keep them in optimal shape,the lime will harden the dirt and help keep it together,also try putting a sign out that says "clean fill wanted" and a phone number where you can be reached you might just get lucky!

thanks for the pointers rob I need all I can get at this point. BTW guys I found my camera.. I ran it over with my car :-/

Tmaxxfreak: I am going to try for 10ft lanes if I can. but its good to know I can go smaller.

Last edited:
Lmao,that reminds me of how I found my buddys prescription glasses,and ur welcome man ,anytime I can give info here I am happy,happy,happy,merry Xmas.

Back