Building a outlaw truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapo@88

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I’ve been running stock class for a fews months and now I’m ready for my next project to build a outlaw truck I know a truck I wanna keep the truck body it might not work because off the aerodynamics but I’m gone give it a try to try to compete with this fast outlaw guys any ideas I wanna keep the stock chassi as my drag slash I trimmed around to where is lighter than a carbon fiber chassis also wanna keep arms original maybe upgrade the shocks towers but have no clue on what electronics to go with if have any ideas they will be much appreciated

Attachments

• EECE86E7-57C7-4CAF-9FE8-1C52CA004D59.jpeg
    EECE86E7-57C7-4CAF-9FE8-1C52CA004D59.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 109
How much have you trimmed the chassis? In order to be lighter than a Cf chassis, that’s gotta be quite a bit. Let me see some pics of it with the body off. And also if you’ve trimmed it that much, and are concerned about weight, then why not get a different truck body? The Drag Slash body weighs a little over a pound by itself!!! I’d figure a Proline C10 drag truck body would only weigh around 300grams, if that much. Also, what kind of times are the Outlaw guys running, that you run with? If they’re sub 2.0, or right at it, you’re going to be at a massive disadvantage on a stock chassis. Electronics wise, it really depends on what pole motor you wanna run. Being rear motor, a 4 pole hanging off the back is going to give you even more rear weight bias, which will cause you to have to put more weight on the nose that usual. If you go 2 pole, stay between a 3.0-4.0t. Personally, I think a 3.0t or 3.5t is the best bet. But, everyone has their opinion on this. I just know those 2 different turn motors are what have won more races than anything. As far as ESC’S go, it depends on what your preferences are, and how much experience you have tuning them. Not to mention, knowledge about getting power to the ground. But regardless of your skill level, make sure that whatever esc you get comes with data logging. Without it, you’ll be chasing your tail, and taking shots in the dark with your tune and chassis adjustments. But throw up a few pics of the chassis and where you’ve trimmed it, and give me some ideas of what you’re up against/what equipment you’ve been looking into. Personally, I’m running a Castle MMX6S and a Tekin Pro-4 HD 6500kv Drag motor. It’s Tekins new 4-pole drag motor that’s comparable to the Castle 1412 6400kv drag motor.

In my local scene a lot of the fastest guys seem to like the Trinity Holeshot 2.5T or the Tekin Eliminator 3.5T. ESCs are typically MacLan DRK or Tekin RX8. Theres a whole ton of options out there though.

Tbh, unless you can find a OG DRK, I’d stray away from them. The newer ones have a bad rep for blowing. If you want an almost bulletproof setup, I’d go with a Castle MMX6S or R1 Digital-3 and either a 3.0t Trinity Holeshot or 3.0t R1, OR any of the 4pole motors. 4 pole is where everything is going. They’ve got more power and torque than you’ll ever be able to harness. And, I find tuning to be easier with a 4 pole.

Back