Build Recommendations?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazzyRazz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I am looking at a 1:24 scale crawler project. My question is do you guys recommend a RTR or should I save the RTR cash and build chassis up?

I'm not concerned for the RX and TX as I have a main one I would be using.

That really depends on your budget. You can get into a RTR pretty cheap but mod are definitely a must. So the cheap will quickly turn into not so cheap.
I have two RTR and a custom crawler I built. I prefer to build from the ground up but that can get very spendy, quick.
It basically boils down to what you enjoy more. At least RTR you can get with it right out of the box.
I highly recommend a Furitek Stinger Brushless System if you want to take to the next level.
I have it in my custom build crawler and am going to install it in two more of my 24s.

Aside from my large scale RCs, the 24s are a kick in the arse. GO FOT IT.
Several guys in here run 24s and they are amazing builds. Take a look around the forum and you will find lots of info on the 24s.

Axial SCX24 Deadbolt 1/24 RTR Scale Mini Crawler (Green) - RC Adventure

Axial SCX24, Deadbolt, or new Hardbody Bronco. Gladiator long chassie.

Axial is a must, because you will have TONS of fun Options

1659666383684.png

Axial long vs standart wheelbase

There is ALOT hop ups

I would buy one Axial RTR first
try if you like it.
Do couple mods you like to try.

And if you dont like it at all, Axial 24scale is the most easy sell Second hand

And if you really like 24scale after couple months still, then just buy one more. a Kit that you custom build.

I believe this is the best and most fair way try this.

The Deadbolt is definitely my favorite and mine I've modded and soon to have a Furitek system.
I also have the C10 and a custom rock crawler with the Furitek system.

I am looking at a 1:24 scale crawler project. My question is do you guys recommend a RTR or should I save the RTR cash and build chassis up?

I'm not concerned for the RX and TX as I have a main one I would be using.
As q whole to start a rtr is cheaper if you want to get the project off the ground faster it provides about 60% of the base but as frog said upgrades add up
Rtr 150$ ish stock
Just in the pack of ud high clearance aluminum links i got 35$ so there you already have about 20% of your initial cost
Found some all aluminum axles that are scale.... you just bought another rtr without buying an rtr

I have 3 SCX24's and have considered aluminum axles, but have yet to pull the trigger on any. The stock axles are just fine so far, and there are plenty of ways to add weight down low on these trucks. Wheels (brass or aluminum), knuckles, extended hexes, steering links, and diff covers alone can add quite a bit of weight down low.

Axles, whether using stock housings or aluminum ones, are about the most expensive part of building from the ground up. Stock ones are almost $55 for the pair of complete axles. Aftermarket ones will set you back over $100 by the time you buy the housings and internals.

But before you add too much weight, I would at least upgrade the motor and steering.

For the steering, I am extremely happy with the Ecopower servo for the SCX24, along with the Hot Racing servo mount - HRASXTF24M01.

For the motor, there is a number of options from Furitek to convert to brushless. PN Racing has a brushed upgrade that is worlds better than the stock motors. Both of these require some mods to fit in the truck.

@WickedFog do you know if theres any divorced servo mounts for "scale" steering . I've been looking it seems as though i may have to make links and plate

Yep, start with the SCX24 Deadbolt, it is the cheapest, most versatile of the bunch. From there you can customize till your hearts content. Even if you only use it as a parts donor for a scratch build, it's worth it.

@WickedFog do you know if theres any divorced servo mounts for "scale" steering . I've been looking it seems as though i may have to make links and plate
I think one of the companies makes a servo mount that mounts to the chassis, but cannot remember where I saw it.

I’d seriously consider the FMS FCX24 as a starting point for a build. As the owner of a modded Deadbolt, I’d say the FCX is better stock for stock and nearly as good a crawler as the modded SCX, and better as a multi-role basher/ crawler. It’ll also be a fun project because it has tremendous potential and yet it’s so new that the aftermarket has only just started coming out with parts. This leaves a lot of room for engineering creativity for people who want to adapt their own mods to this rig. For about the same cost as an SCX24 it has a 2 speed tranny for way better slow crawl AND much better top speed, plus portal axles and a few other neat details.

Yeah, with Treal getting in on the FCX mod scene already, I would bet my SCX24 collection big things are coming for these trucks. Gonna have to jump on the bandwagon as soon as I get caught up on a few projects.
Thanks everyone, my 5yr old has a Deadbolt and i love it.
Glad you got something for him to play with. The nice thing about the SCX24 trucks, especially the Deadbolt is they will crawl over just about anything. Have any pets? They would make good sand dunes. Shoes, scraps of foam or wood, your wife's curvy profile with twin peaks, a cluttered computer desk, or workbench covered in future projects will make for nice obstacles. Heck, even other RC cars 😜

Last edited:
Back