Buggy tires RULE!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with gay.

If you want a buggy then buy a buggy.

The problem is, I DIDNT WANT TO BUY A BUGGY! i wanted a mt, and also i wanted buggy preformance. i think it looks different, and not gay, and say that when i school you at the track with my sirio rebuilt 2.5!:flamer:

also, it takes soo much extra weight and rotating mass off of your truck. just regear it, and you have a sweet machine!!

yep!!! you hit it right on the mark olds. hey, when u get the hubs, are u puttin buggy tires on? or just the big ass ones...

-WillTheThrill-
-:mex: -

Buggy rims/tires. The truck in my sig is my 21 converted maxx that I can't control, so I'm afraid to drive it. (costs to much when I wipe it out!) The one I'm thinking about putting the buggy tires/wheels on is a 2wd sport maxx that I've built out of pieces with a new wasp 18 on it. It's what I've been driving a lot lately. Cheaper and I have way less time and $ into it. I traded a xxx-nt that I never drove for a t-maxx that I thought was in working condition... after about $80 in parts/screws and 6 hours of rebuilding time, it's now a runner. I just recently put the 18 in it and it really perked it up vs. having the os 15 cv-r in it. It came with a busted 2.5 that's in pieces in a baggy on a shelf.

Oh well, I didn't drive the xxxnt anyway. To low to the ground for where I have to drive it.

Do the hubs make it wider? They look like they stick out some.

post a few more pics after you get it together. I think it looks pretty good considering what it's for.

they do make it get a little wider, and wider is better in your case. also, you should buy some of those completely slick 1/8 scale on road tires and test em out.

WARNING!!!
DO NOT PUT ON THE TIRES BEFORE YOU CHANGE GEARING.
AT LEAST 64t SPUR!!!
I was redlining toooooo early. overheated much much much...

What spur? Do you have a link? Is it a traxxas spur?

I currently am running 19/72 for cb/spur. I assumed I'd need to change that, but I wasn't sure with what.

Originally posted by Willthethrill
The problem is, I DIDNT WANT TO BUY A BUGGY! i wanted a mt, and also i wanted buggy preformance. i think it looks different, and not gay, and say that when i school you at the track with my sirio rebuilt 2.5!:flamer:

also, it takes soo much extra weight and rotating mass off of your truck. just regear it, and you have a sweet machine!!

Will, You don't have to get so deffensive bro. I wasn't calling your gay or your truck gay...and I'm sure the other poster wasn't either.

Their's a plethora of things you'd have to consider when running tires that small and the biggest would be hi-speed stability or lack their-of running those tires. I can't imagine that tires that skinny on a Maxx going fullspeed would be stable.

Originally posted by 30%NitroBoy

I can't imagine that tires that skinny on a Maxx going fullspeed would be stable.

How do you figure? Less rotational mass to act like a gyroscope maybe, but your lower to the ground and stearing will be more responsive. It may not level out through jumps as easily, but I would think high speed stability would be gained by going smaller.

Maybe not?

I agree wit u too olds. it is soo much nicer at high speeds. but you should put a servo saver on it and ease on the steering on the road, and lower your ride hieght. because wit the smaller tires it is easier and faster to steer, so i have flipped it a buncha times just turning regularly. on the track it rules tho...
-WillTheThrill-

For the spur question, it is a traxxas spur, and if it is a s-maxx, you migh want to put a larger clutch bell on it too. it would go soo fast and it would be easier to control moreso if the low end wasn't awesome.

ya... i would go with at least 2 teeth more on the cb, and if you want to, a smaller spur. clock it and tell us!

how much was the total cost of this?(including the kit, the gears, the wheels/tires)it looks like about 80$... pretty heavy price tag just to loose some groundclearance and probably top speed too...

Yeah, but you gain better handling and less weight along with lower rotational mass. Should prove to be a different kind of truck.

Plus, with gearing, you won't loose top speed, but you should be able to get to top speed faster. And you will end up with stronger rims since they are smaller and there's less force pressing on them on big jumps.

umm...
The ofna was 24$
The tires were 40$
and the spur was 6$
looks like 70$, and if you race, it is well worth it.
aright, like olds said, you get accel, you get top speed it you want, you get rotation mass, and those tires are VERY well balanced, so at high speeds you wont have ballooning, REally nice handling, and if you really want a fast road machine, just gear it with like 22/62 and put some ofna 1/8 slicks on it...
ohhhhhhhh mama!!!

-WillTheThrill-

hey olds, also i want to put a pic and writing on my name... do u get that with being a contributing member?

Nope. You get the pic (avatar) when you reach 1000 posts. By being a contributing member, you gain access to a member's only forum and you get 8MG of disk space for your gallery. I think you have to donate $25 though. I'm due for another donation. Although, I think you only have to donate once to get the membership status. After that, it's just on grace. But it's been awhile since I donated.

This is from the rules page:
Avatars - These are small images displayed under your name. Members are allowed to pick any avatar shown in your user profile or use an avatar from their own site or another site AFTER they have 1000 or more posts.

User Titles - These titles change as you post. Members with 500 or more posts may use custom titles which can be changed in their profile.

This is from the contribute page:
Members who make a donation of $20.00 or more one time will receive the following privileges:

Access to a Special Contributor's Only Forum.
Increased Image Gallery Space. Contributors have a space limit of 8MB, instead of the 512KB regular members are limited to.
Access to delete own posts.
Access to open/close own threads.
Will receive special discounts in the RCNT Shop.
Start and vote on polls (Contributor Forums Only)
Special contests for contributors only.
Vote for Moderators - In the past this was a thing only done by current Mods with the final say being my own, now we're giving you guys a chance a say in who leads the site.
Voting to Add/Remove features.
Plus more privileges will be added as time goes on and as features are added.

Hey olds - I'm really looking forward to hearing how it works out for ya. As for high speed stability, well their's a reason they make wide offset rims. It's just simple rc science IME. I don't think your truck is going to be REALLY unstable @ high speeds but I'd almost be willing to bet the farm that it's not going to be nearly as stable as standard size road tires or even stock maxx tires.

Depends on what you have but I would get a radio with expo, and end point adjustments so you can finally tame that more powerfull maxx :D

Yeah... that's what I'm looking for. Problem is, I need 2 receivers.

Not much point in making a buggy maxx when I have a 21 maxx that I can't drive due to being an idiot!

I would rather have both that I can drive, then worry about messing up the little maxx.

I was looking at the MX-3 for $99, but a new reciever is $89... I don't know enough about this crap to be able to tell if I can use a different brand receiver. I'll post in the radio forum.

Back