Buggy tires RULE!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willthethrill

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have recently gone to my lhs and picked up the 1/8 scale tire converters and a set of big knob tires (buggy ones). i had some problems with gearing at first, and the engine would overheat too damn fast, but once i got a new Heatsink and changed teh gearing to 22/68, it worked really well. It handles Great, and with a hitec 645 in mine i shouldent have a prob. I have been having some probs wit my 2.5 lately. i have been runnig it pretty cool, 275, 280, and then after a while of running, i can't pull the starter cord (i have pull start) and it seems like it siezed, but then i take off the sink haed, and can't find any reason why it is stopping. it has happened 3 times... HELP

I second that. I'm thinking of doing the same to my little maxx just to loose some rotational mass out of the driveline.

i would also like to see some pic. as far as ur problem, do u see any damage to the top of the piston? the only thing i can think of is that the piston is hitting the bottom of the cooling head or somethin.

later

Odds are you are seeing a small bit of hydro or vapor locking on the engine after it runs. By removing the engine cooling head, you release that pressure build up and allow the engine to move again.

Other than that, make certain that you are not letting the engine cool with the piston at top dead center. As the engine cools the sleeve will compress around the piston head causing the engine to feel like it is seized; this also tends to reduce the engine life.

PIctures asap, thanx for the help skymaxx and maxx trooper...

Please post a pic of the setup. I have an EK4 that I would love to put some different wheels and tires on, to reduce the rotating mass (and to race). Using buggy wheels and tires is interesting. Please post results of running here so we can see what is happening.

does the ek4 use the same wheels as the t-maxx?, does it have a pin hole that hooks into the wheel hex? if it does, you can buy anodized aluminum wheel hexes that fasten right on. again... picts asap, at least later today or earlier tomoroww. my dad has the digi cam and he is in uraguay hunting...

EK4 uses same 17mm wheel fastener arrangement as buggy. No pin slot.

oh so what are u waiting for???? u want like preformance tips?? or maybe do u want gearing help??? because you will have to gear it higher to make it go as fast as it was before. BUGGY TIRES ON AN EK4!!! I GOTTA SEE THIS!!! make the cb higher tooth and the spur lower tooth. then it will rip!!!

What???
Slingshots???

i am also going to add some buggy tires on my maxx
i have added the 22 tooth and a 70 tooth

3798PICT0025-med.JPG
Check it out. sorry for the blurry camera. i hate it... The engine is removed because i was running it and a leak in the gas tank caused it to run dangerously lean, broke the skirt off of my piston, wrecked my sleeve, and stretched out my connecting rod. it got soooo hot!!! good job eh?:thankyou:

Could you post a link to the adapters and rims that you bought? I'd really like to try it, but the LHS that's closest to me is going to no longer receive any of my $, so I'd like the part brand and numbers if you have them to order from tower.

Thanks.

I would have to talk to my lhs about that... they have the part nums. so far i havent been able to find anything on the internet. look up ofna 17mm wheel hex adapters.

FOUND IT!!

T-Maxx Wheel Adapter
4 Pcs
Part#: 81175
http://www.ofna.com/tires-monster.html

have fun!!
For the tires you should just buy some nice ofna or other kinds of preglued rims and tires. only like 20bucks per pair at my lhs.

HEy will - Honestly, they look pretty gay but performance is much more important then looks and if it's working for ya then great.

Back