Brushed vs Brushless speeds

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenBossio

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my lack of knowledge here, but I've been looking online and don't fully understand. I currently have a Tamiya TZ motor and a regular battery. The box says the motor should spin somewhere around 28,000 rpm I believe . I want to go brushless for more speed. Online it says multiple Kv by voltage for max rpm's so if I have a 3000 Kv and 7.4 Volt Lipo that equals about 21,000 rpm's . So how is lipo so much faster ? I have a Traxxas stampede that I just got and want it to be really fast when I want it to. Was thinking starting out with a budget brushless and esc from Amazon. Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated ! Thank you

Looking online its 28,000 no load 7.2 regaurdless of rpm speed, brushless usually can handle 2 and 3s.

A 2s lipo is 4.2 fully charged which equates to 8.4 volts. 3.2v/cell is the least you want to be.

25,xxx should be the rpm if I'm not mistaken. From there its gearing. The brushless has gobs of torque, which can mean a faster spinning drivetrain through spur and pinion.

If the car is small enough, some brushed setups can rival a 2s brushless setup. I've seen 2s brushed traxxas 1/16 rip with a 550/540.

A 3800 should be nice dor the Stampede. Stock vxl is 3500.

How much are you looking to spend? I think its the Hobby wing that is always recommended here.

What if I used regular batteries as opposed to lipo? How big would the difference be

sub c batteries discharge very fast sure they have a start voltage that is higher but they can not hold that voltage long maybe a few second while lipo have less voltage can hold a voltage longer like minutes...

Li-pos deliver WAY more amperage/torque than sub C cells . If you leave everything stock and simply switch from a Sub c pack to a li-po , even a cheap low C rated one , you will see a substantial difference in performance over the sub C cells both in torque and top end. going to a brushless setup and lipo will be a HUGE performance increase .. Now there are also 2 different types of brushless systems .. Sensored and sensorless.. Sensored is EVEN MORE efficient and delivers even MORE performance while sensorless still delivers really good performance The tamiya TZ motor is a 23t brushed so The sensored equivalent would be a 13.5 t motor and the sensorless equivalent should be between 3000 and 3500 kv.. Serious though , throw a li-po at that 23 t and as long as the comm/brushes are still in good shape she should come alive pretty good.

I did speed runs with a Traxxas Rustler with a brushed Titan motor and XL-5 ESC using a traxxas 8.4 volt NiMh battery vs a Traxxas 7.4 volt lithium 7600 mah battery and the NiMh battery was significantly faster. Granted the NiMh battery had more voltage so not quite apples to apples there.

As for brushed vs brushless speed, no comparison. The first time you go brushless you will be shocked at the difference. We went from a Titan brushed 12T motor to a Castle 3800 setup and the speed went from 25 mph to 45 mph with a Traxxas slash 4x4.

Last edited: