Brushed motor capacitor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Do I need a capacitor on my brushed motor? I had a capacitor pop on my Kyosho Le Mans 240st motor.

Ok, I got a 47uf 25v capacitor, it’s the same specs but polarized. Would it pop?
Not 100% sure, I dont know what was on it before. i wouldnt think so with it being 25V though. Just make sure you dont wire it up backwards.

Last edited:
Way out of my league to offer advice, but it looks like the only differences between polarized and non-,polarized is the voltage capacity and frequency. I tried to find out what the frequency rating was for, but all I got was a headache 😜

"As the frequency applied to the capacitor increases, its effect is to decrease its reactance (measured in ohms). Likewise as the frequency across the capacitor decreases its reactance value increases. This variation is called the capacitor's complex impedance."
download (1).png

Way out of my league to offer advice, but it looks like the only differences between polarized and non-,polarized is the voltage capacity and frequency. I tried to find out what the frequency rating was for, but all I got was a headache 😜

"As the frequency applied to the capacitor increases, its effect is to decrease its reactance (measured in ohms). Likewise as the frequency across the capacitor decreases its reactance value increases. This variation is called the capacitor's complex impedance."
View attachment 135708
That poop is starting to get above my head too but the frequency is only relevant for AC power sources. DC power sources just cause the cap to charge and when power is lessened the cap discharges its reserve. When Ac power is used the frequency becomes important because Everytime the AC current switches phases the capacitor returns its stored charge to the flow and then when the phase shifts again the power is put back in to the cap. So the higher the frequency the more of a charge the capacitor can hold on AC. At least thats my limited understanding of it.

Cool. It said the frequency has domethong to do with the cspicity as well I think. Not reading whatever that was again lol.

So for RC cars, as long as the volts are above what we run, should be goid then?

Cool. It said the frequency has domethong to do with the cspicity as well I think. Not reading whatever that was again lol.

So for RC cars, as long as the volts are above what we run, should be goid then?
I'm no expert but as far as I know yes.... Well that and if its polarized of course the polarity has to be hooked up correctly.

I remember when we bought them for car audio setups, it was just bigger is better lol.