Spektrum Firma esc smoked ..please help .

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lux

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello new here guys .. need some help .
I was running one of my XMAXX 8s with the spektrum firma 160a esc and the spektrum 800kv motor . 30/30 P&S . It ran great for months no issue ..was a little heavy so swapped out to the HW 5687 1100kv . On maiden about a min into run the esc smoked ..blew all capacitors and is toast ..was not running it hard at all ..everything was installed correctly as far as I can see looking it over .. please help .
Thanks so much

20230226_083147.jpg

I’ve run a similar setup in my Kraton 8s with pretty good results. (Stock firma with the Hobbystar 5692 1120kv). Mine didn’t seem to labor too bad and I still use that esc in my Mojave. Sometimes they just let out the smoke and we never really know why. I think the Casle mmx 8s works better in my setup than the firma max6 and its nearly the same size. The max5 takes up a lot of real-estate if you go that route. Hope you get it sorted

Thank you .. I have a max 6 in my other xmaxx was looking at the castle ..was really hoping to not have to go with the Max 5 as it is quite large . The weird thing is the firma 160a was working fine with the 800kv which is a lot bigger than the 1100kv ..stumped lol

Hello new here guys .. need some help .
I was running one of my XMAXX 8s with the spektrum firma 160a esc and the spektrum 800kv motor . 30/30 P&S . It ran great for months no issue ..was a little heavy so swapped out to the HW 5687 1100kv . On maiden about a min into run the esc smoked ..blew all capacitors and is toast ..was not running it hard at all ..everything was installed correctly as far as I can see looking it over .. please help .
Thanks so much

View attachment 160892
The fact that all 3 caps popped at the same time (I'm assuming) would suggest to me that a short happened, possibly inside the ESC itself. Spektrum ESCs arent exactly known for their quality.
Thank you .. I have a max 6 in my other xmaxx was looking at the castle ..was really hoping to not have to go with the Max 5 as it is quite large . The weird thing is the firma 160a was working fine with the 800kv which is a lot bigger than the 1100kv ..stumped lol
The 1100Kv motor is going to pull more amperage than the 800Kv. In my Kraton 8S running the stock Firma 160 with the stock 1250Kv motor pushes both ESC and motor to max temps in the span of one pack. That being said the Firma 160A should be able to drive an 1100Kv motor though which swings back around to a possible short being the cause.

The fact that all 3 caps popped at the same time (I'm assuming) would suggest to me that a short happened, possibly inside the ESC itself. Spektrum ESCs arent exactly known for their quality.
That's what I am hoping ..hopefully the esc had some internal problem ..the 3 caps blew at approximately the same time ..they where not toast prior to that run at least not visually.. my worry is if I throw in a new esc to have it poof another esc ..hoping it is not something to do with that new motor ..
but that's how it goes sometimes when modfing and figuring things out I guess ..
Really appreciate all of your input guys!

It may not like the 1200kv on the gearing you are running. It’s trying to spin 1.5 times faster than the 800kv. I would have to go back on the Arrma forum to see what gearing I was using then but I think it was a 30t pinion/47spur. In the k8s now with the castle mmx8s i us a 56112 780kv running 1:1 gearing. Not sure how this translates to your setup but just trying to tell you my experience.
I really like the Castle mmx8s but you need a non apple computer to program it. You can use the app on your phone.

That's what I am hoping ..hopefully the esc had some internal problem ..the 3 caps blew at approximately the same time ..they where not toast prior to that run at least not visually.. my worry is if I throw in a new esc to have it poof another esc ..hoping it is not something to do with that new motor ..
but that's how it goes sometimes when modfing and figuring things out I guess ..
Really appreciate all of your input guys!
Well, you could swap the 800kv back in temporarily just to make sure the replacement ESC is working properly then switch the 1100kv back in so that if it does poof again then you know its the motor.

That being said Jim makes a good point about the gearing. I totally missed the fact that you're running 1:1 gearing. Thats probably to tall of gearing for the 1100Kv set up.

It may not like the 1200kv on the gearing you are running. It’s trying to spin 1.5 times faster than the 800kv. I would have to go back on the Arrma forum to see what gearing I was using then but I think it was a 30t pinion/47spur. In the k8s now with the castle mmx8s i us a 56112 780kv running 1:1 gearing. Not sure how this translates to your setup but just trying to tell you my experience.
I really like the Castle mmx8s but you need a non apple computer to program it. You can use the app on your phone.
I Was running the 800kv with the firma 160 on 30/30 vitavon .. was running the 1100kv on the same setup ..I know others running a similar set up as well ..I ordered a 25tpinion and 30t spur to try as that is what duperdash is running with good success.. Also when she went poof I wasn't working it super hard ..seemed like it was bogging a bit tho .
Good points guys ..ty

I Was running the 800kv with the firma 160 on 30/30 vitavon .. was running the 1100kv on the same setup ..I know others running a similar set up as well ..I ordered a 25tpinion and 30t spur to try as that is what duperdash is running with good success.. Also when she went poof I wasn't working it super hard ..seemed like it was bogging a bit tho .
Just have a temp gun handy and keep real close tabs on your motor and ESC temps at first. That will let you know if you're getting in to a danger zone.

Just have a temp gun handy and keep real close tabs on your motor and ESC temps at first. That will let you know if you're getting in to a danger zone.
Good idea ty will definitely do that ..
What you think temp range should be before danger zone?

Good idea ty will definitely do that ..
What you think temp range should be before danger zone?
I dont let me ESCs go over 160F and I dont let my motors go above 170F. Ideally about 5F cooler than that for both but those are my absolute limits I dont like to go above.

I dont let me ESCs go over 160F and I dont let my motors go above 170F. Ideally about 5F cooler than that for both but those are my absolute limits I dont like to go above.
Thanks man ..that is definitely good info ..pretty sure I over geared it with the 30t pinion on the 1100.. going to go with 25t for the new esc just to be safe and will check Temps as you recommended.
Ty

Back