Broke it in, ran a bit, now ....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeep

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
She ran unreal!!!,,,and maintained a temp range from 224-242,,seemed like all was perfect!!,,thenI brought her in to let her cool, and check screws and such,,and went to fire her back up,,and found that the steering servo was stripped,,WTF??,,,well , I was told that the stock servos on the hyper 7 RTR kits sucked,,I was dissappoined,,but not surprised.

now needing parts....ordering a Hitech 645
needing some advice.

this is for a Hyper 7 PBS steering,,,I found 2 listings for "hitech 645"

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=hitech+645+servo&FVPROFIL=++

What is the difference between these two?

Thanks ,
Jeep

Last edited:
SumoDethRat said:
If you scroll down the J says its has the futuba J type connector, While the other fits Jr, Airtronics, and Hitec among others.

I don't know what type of connector the pbr rtr uses, but I imagine its the universal non-J 645.

Experienced members chime in anytime and correct me.

You can compare it to these I guess

Universal http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10063.14

Futuba J http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10049.14

correct. not sure on the connector on it either. a universal connector is, universal. LOL.

worst case scenario the Futaba style has a little wing so you know which way to mount it in the RX....if that gets in the way you just shave it off w/ a razor...2 seconds and viola it fits....

Plaidfish said:
worst case scenario the Futaba style has a little wing so you know which way to mount it in the RX....if that gets in the way you just shave it off w/ a razor...2 seconds and viola it fits....

yup, I've done that before. works fine.

You do, however, have to mate up the wires. If you look at your stock servo wires, you'll see a red-black-white set. You have to match that order on the servo, or you'll fry it.

edit; to clarify....

When you look at your reciever, the servo wires that plug into it now are the sequence that you'll have to match when you install the new servo.

What is the brand of the stock radio? If I remember right, it's a JR, right? If so, if you get the Z servo, it should be a direct plug in.

Last edited:
Hey Jeep, I have a Hyper 7 PBS, and I run 2 HS 645MG's in it, this is the one you need:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML
That will plug into your stock receiver with no problem.

BUT, I promise that you will be changing radios soon too, as I also found out that everything that comes with an RTR is crap, except the car.

I hear a whisper in the background ......spektrum...get a radio w/ spektrum.....

Thanks for the info folks.

Yep Chaotic, I've already planned on the Airtronics mx3 or possibly mx3s, but,
that will have to wait a bit in light of the servo giving up, a tumble that broke the end off of the wing, and I noticed a crack forming in the top of my fuel tank right behind the filler neck, so I'm replacing those parts as well.

Jeep

Damn, that must have been quite a tumble!! Sounds like you got a little carried away during the "break-in"" eh?! Don't worry, I did too, it's just too easy to do it. Well good luck with the fix. Have you dissasembled the entire buggy yet to learn the ins and outs? If not, it is something that I strongly recommend, and it will also let you find anything else that is broken, or will soon be. Do you plan on racing the buggy, or backyard bashing??

I decided to wait until I broke the engine in and "feel it" a bit before I took it totally down. And I have now, and that's when I saw the crack in the fuel tank, I figured probably due to ambient temps at the time (about 35-45F) and the fuel cap spring tension(it's stout for a plastic lid).
but I already had ordered differential lube for it for the tear down(read they come with little) and I'm on the way back up waiting for my servo/ wing/ fuel tank.
By the way, there really was no hard tumble, and ALL of my breakin was "unloaded" but then afterwards ,a cart wheel or so,,but plastic is alot like steel,, a cold temp makes BOTH very brittle. :)

In response to your last question,, I'd love to get into racing, but there are no tracks within MANY miles of me,,I had to drive 125 miles round trip Saturday just to get fuel to finish my break-in and run it Sunday to enjoy,,also,,I'm not into "bashing" as I've seen videos of,,I love a well engineered piece of technology too much to abuse it,,so I'm stuck..LMAO
I'll probaby just find a nice place to hit some jumps, and learn to handle the cornering and suspension setup, and take my time,,,then travel about 300 miles to a track and smoke some ass some time down the road,,lmao.

Jeep

:flaming: :flaming: Right on, yeah I never even considered the weather's effects on the materials, just the engine. Well, since I am in Phoenix I guess I don't have to worry about my parts getting too brittle, I just have to worry about them melting is all!!! :flaming:

Well, if you watch T.V at all you may have noticed that the R/C world is growing at an awesome pace. HPI was on Jesse James "Monster Garage" show a while back, I heard that they were on "American Chopper" as well, showing off the Savage, and Kyosho will be "American Makeover Home Edition" here shortly. So keep it up and there may very well be a track near your home soon!!

if I had the resources,,I'd sponsor a track if there was a hobby shop close, but like I said, 125 miles round trip,,it's a small shop,,but VERY well stocked,,I was amazed,,,and got a great deal on 2 gallons of Blue Thunder race formula 20% at $24.00/gallon :)

And by the way,,I'm not looking forward to the "melting" temps this spring or summer as well.

Jeep

I raced electrics like 15 years ago on the east coast, but until about 3 months ago I hadn't done anything with R/C. Having that big of a gap in a hobby, (Especially between ages 13 and 28) is like a lifetime. So I think it is justified for me to say that I attended my first race this last weekend, and it was awesome! Until then the only people I talked to about R/C were on this forum, which is great but not as good as in person, and at my LHS, where all they are out to do is make a buck. I didn't race, but I learned so much and got addicted without even participating. I only have to travel 10 miles to the track, but if you race the Arizona Point Series, then you will have to travel all over the state during season. So with that in mind, you may be able to set up a small track on your own land and practice, so during the season you can travel to race.... It's a possibilty, no?

Back