Break in Procedure

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny1982

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I just bought a
41RkQOuJ5YL._SX100_.jpg
1/10 2.4Ghz Exceed RC Infinitve Nitro Gas Powered RTR Off Road Monster 4WD Truck

I tried to follow the break in procedure to a tee. Wouldn't start after 3 hours of trying gave up. Next day, changed low speed needle a bit richer and got it started with throttle trimmed out all the way. I don't have a stand, so I hung it level with string from my lawn mower! Runs as long as throttle trimmed out (wheels spinning like crazy). Can turn throttle trim dial down a bit, but after so much (wheels are still spinning fast) it quits on me. Hard to get it started back up then, even with glow plug ignitor, takes several pulls. Ran a whole tank throung with throttle trimmed out, and still won't idle without throttle without shutting off. Plus, metal shavings seem to be all over truck, is this normal? Base settings of LSN and HSN are all the way clockwise, then 3-1,2 turns counter. The LSN is currently set to 4 turns counter, and the HSN is set to base (3-1/2) Does anyone have any advice for me to get this thing running right? Really excited to run this around with my son, but getting frustrated. Also, I am new at this, may not be using proper terminology. Thanks!

I would start with putting the needles back to factory. Make sure the gas lid is closed tight and zip tie the breether onto the carburetor. Also make sure the carburetor is only open a little bit while it's turned on not cranked but the electronics are on. Not too sure about the metal shavings you may have gotten the engine too hot. You need a temp gun and make sure the glow plug is igniting. Put the glow plug in the glow ignitor and see if it's getting hot. If that doesn't work I may have a few other tricks up my sleeve. Also adjust the low end needle first before even touching the high end needle. One your idle is right and take off is good turn your high end needle a 1/8 turn at a time until your reaching max performance and your temp is somewhere between 200-220.

I would start with putting the needles back to factory. Make sure the gas lid is closed tight and zip tie the breether onto the carburetor. Also make sure the carburetor is only open a little bit while it's turned on not cranked but the electronics are on. Not too sure about the metal shavings you may have gotten the engine too hot. You need a temp gun and make sure the glow plug is igniting. Put the glow plug in the glow ignitor and see if it's getting hot. If that doesn't work I may have a few other tricks up my sleeve. Also adjust the low end needle first before even touching the high end needle. One your idle is right and take off is good turn your high end needle a 1/8 turn at a time until your reaching max performance and your temp is somewhere between 200-220.
Also not to knock your ride but you may want to ditch the exceed rc and buy a better brand. Traxxas hpi losi etc. I too bought a exceed truck for my firs nitro rc and honestly it's junk. You will spend more money on it than what you paid for it and still have the same car you started with. Just my honest opinion.

Don't get disgusted just yet. It takes time and practice to get the carb settings correct. Go watch these videos on setting the air gap in your carb and how to do a pinch test to set your low speed needle. Start with the factory setting for the LSN but leave the HSN where it was after your break-in runs. Set the air gap in the carb to about 1mm (which is about the thickness of a credit card) and start from there. After you get the LSN set, run the truck and keep increasing the HSN about 1/8 turn at a time until it starts to bog a little. You'll be able to hear when it starts to get too much fuel and the top end performance will fall off a little. Then back off the HSN off about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn and leave it there. Don't be concerned with temperature. The methanol in the fuel cools the engine. You need good air flow across the head of the engine also. You might need to cut out some of the windshield to get good air flow through the body to the engine. As far as the metal shavings all over the truck, sounds like the mesh between your clutch bell gear and the spur gear is too tight.(assuming that you have a metal spur gear). You can loosen the engine and put a piece of printer paper between the gears, mash them together and tighten the engine back down. They should rotate freely with a little play and no binding.