Break in during winter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skullboi2012

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey all of you nitro fanatics I have a question I am get a 1/8 sh.21 nitro buggy and was wondering if you can brake it in during the winter time -thanks skull

Hey all of you nitro fanatics I have a question I am get a 1/8 sh.21 nitro buggy and was wondering if you can brake it in during the winter time -thanks skull

Id say it depends on how cold your winter is ,I live in California ,an I'm still sweatin in November!...:D

Theres some steps that you can take I think ,like a garage with good ventilation an it warmed up!...:cool:

Welcome to RCNT. You want to keep temps up during break in. In cold weather you can wrap the cooling head with a sock or aluminum foil. An IFR temp gun is a good investment. Try to keep temps between about 210 to 270:welcome_sign:

The temps are very important when doing break in. The metals need to 'wear in' to each other. Your ambient temps will DEF effect that. A temp gun will be your best friend during this process,

You really need to get the engine temp up to at least 70F before firing it up and you need to keep it above that temp using a sock or something. When I just can't wait and it's cold, I'll use a few handwarmers ziptied to the engine head to keep it from getting too cold. But I still put the truck on the floor of my 1:1 with the heat blasting to get the temps up before starting.

That said, cold is hard on nitro engines. They really need to be above 200F to run right. Using a sock in the winter with snow tends to end up with a wet sock that doesn't let the engine stay warm enough, or at least truly warm enough. Odds are, if your seeing 200F at the cooling head, your running at fuel/air settings that would be 250+ if it was 70F outside.

If you can't wait, try the hand warmers for break-in and a small infant sock neck for running after break-in, but start putting some cash away for a new engine in the spring because odds are, yours won't run that well when it warms up out.

Id say it depends on how cold your winter is ,I live in California ,an I'm still sweatin in November!...:D

Theres some steps that you can take I think ,like a garage with good ventilation an it warmed up!...:cool:
Cool thanks for the info

Welcome to RCNT. You want to keep temps up during break in. In cold weather you can wrap the cooling head with a sock or aluminum foil. An IFR temp gun is a good investment. Try to keep temps between about 210 to 270:welcome_sign:
Thanks I have a temp gun to so less money

Last edited:
Back