Break-in during rain and cold weather

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryankyut

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all, i just got my t-maxx 3.3 the other day and havent played with it yet. I wanna break it in today but its driZzling rain and the weather is in the low 30's..

Any precautions i need to know or do when breaking-in a nitro car in this weather? Also, whats a good hump batt for the receiver thall last 10+ tanks of gas? Tnx!

IMO and I'm sure others will chime in on it - Its typically not a good idea to break in a motor under 50ish degrees. Typically the engine will not hold the heat during the cycling and you wont get a real heat cycle break in. You can put a sock or even wrap the cylinder head in tinfoil to try to hold the heat in but IMO its not worth the loss of engine life.

As far as the receiver pack - I use the OFNA 1500 nimh and will typically get several tanks thru it before a recharge. I also have a voltage cutoff as part of my failsafe so the truck doesn't just take off whenever it wants to, due to a low battery.

^^^ +1 I agree with the above except I use Losi 1400mah packs but either way as long as you have a failsafe and a couple of these you'll be good for hours.

If you must do it in the cold....and I'm assuming you will....wait 'til it's dry outside. Wet and cold is like a double whammy for most rc vehicles.

You absolutely must wrap the head (cold weather) with something to keep the engine temps up or it's life will be shortened.

Lol yah i will do it cuz I'm itchin to play with it. I have to wait til it stops raining vuz i have to run it without the body on for the first tank, dont want water enterjng thru the air filter

I have the traxxas tmaxx 3.3, i think i has a built in failsafe? can u all confirm?

gotta agree with the masses on this one. i know the temptation is great, and desire to run your maxx is high...but in the long run wait for a 50 degree or warmer day to do your break in. and a dry day is always better. i know it sucks to have to wait, but in the long run you will get more life out of your engine. it's the price we pay for living in a cold winter climate. even as die hard as i am with winter running.....i dont take it out when it gets below 35 !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnxdxaEut9c"]T MAXX ON WARM FEB DAY.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

of course i'm a little nuts when it comes to running ..........PERIOD !

it's your ride Bro....

Last edited:
^+1^ It is your ride and ultimately your wallet that is keeping up with the maint of the vehicle. If you have deep enough pockets than by all means beat the hell out of it and enjoy!!

Hey all, i didnt do it cuz it was snowing. I'm thinkin abouy doin it in the garage, gonna place 2 cinderblocks underneath the chasis and just let the car hover and break it in that way.. Good idea yeah? yeah I'm bored

I'm thinkin abouy doin it in the garage, gonna place 2 cinderblocks underneath the chasis and just let the car hover and break it in that way.. Good idea yeah?

Good idea not…
Unless you are very experienced with break-in, I wouldn’t recommend breaking it in that way at all.

The best way is by the Traxxas manual on a warm day. Idling and/or cold weather methods will allow it to run too cool, which will shorten it's life.

I agree that it's your money, do what you wish. We'll be here when you need help.

We had a terrible winter i was looking forward to bashing in the snow

Yeah I'm from KY and it snowed only twice an not even 2 inches lol

I appreciate all the inputs guys, many thanks!

Dont break in by idling IMO. Alot of sources I've read agree its not a good way to break in. Go by a brushless electric and use it to bash in the snow.

:p:Sunny with a high of 46 here at Barksdale AFB, tomorrow will be 49 and partly cloudy, I'm pretty sure this is the coldest we've had this Winter.:D

Remind me to tell you how it's 75° here this june while it's 105° and muggy in Barksdale.:)

I'll take 75 degree day any day of the week in Buffalo. When you have that nasty feeling down delow which is swamp@$$ let me know how it feels. LOL

Back