Break-In coming along nicely

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CessnaDriver

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just ran my sixth tank in the P5X on my new Mugen MBX5 Prospec. Leaned it out a bit on that last tank and got into the throttle a little. All I can say is WOW, this thing is freakin fast, and it isn't even tuned yet.

Towards the end of the tank when it leans before the fuel runs out, it was just plain MOVIN!!!!

Even with street tires, this thing is so much fun. I am so glad I bought the street tires as a second set of tires, as I think it is going to be just as fun to run this thing on the street as it is on dirt and tracks.

The whole set-up was just a little over $2,000, but I think it is going to be well worth it and provide lots of enjoyment. I do still need to get a temp. gun for precise tuning.

Any suggestions, I don't need the best, just something enough to tune it.

A temp gun is not used for precise tuning. Its used as a refrence. Once you get it to where you like the throttle response, and there is a nice trail of smoke check the temps. You will use this as the refrence point when tuning.

Glad to hear everything is going well though!

true, as long as you have a nice trail of blue smoke, this means the motor is getting proper lubrication.

Sounds sweet, I'm going to NC to pick up the ProSpec my pop made for me. In advance I ordered a TNT Modified P5x, should be off the hook eh?

Tight pinch right? I hear these novas are so very tight and precise.

Izze-Racing said:
true, as long as you have a nice trail of blue smoke, this means the motor is getting proper lubrication.

Sounds sweet, I'm going to NC to pick up the ProSpec my pop made for me. In advance I ordered a TNT Modified P5x, should be off the hook eh?

Tight pinch right? I hear these novas are so very tight and precise.

Yes they are. The first time I cranked it over I had to do it without the glow plug in it. After that, make sure the piston is near BDC or it will bind on the up stroke and you will have to use your fingers on the flywheel to pry it loose again.

Oh and a word of caution.... If you need to use your fingers to unpinch it, USE GLOVES, I have 4 nice and deep cuts on my fingers from the flywheel.

Instead of using your finger to get it past tdc use a small screw driver and stick it through the hole in the chassis. Much easier that way!

I was on my third tank of break'n it in when I started driving it alittle to get the drivetrain and shocks worked in as long as I was break'n the motor in I figured it would be cool. This idoit came around the corner, couldn't get the truck out of the way, really no where to go except the building, so I figured the truck was the safe bet..wrong. Went under ok but caught up on his rear axal. Broke my front drive axal cup where it goes in to front trans. Ordered part but won't get here till Monday. Long weekend. The only thing that bothered me was I had to leave glow plug lighter on longer than I wanted, or it would die. I'm thinking it's because it's just new. Hope that will get better. I don't like leaving it on that long.

Back