Brand New OFNA Ultra LX2 = Money Pit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWrench

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Picked up a new LX2 last week just for bashing around. Going in I knew the servos were junk and would have to be replaced lol. I was hoping they would last through breakin. NOPE the throttle/brake servo went up in smoke first start (after setting end points). Replaced both with new spare traxxas servos I already had. Then the steering wouldn't respond. Tracked it down to the rx... squeezing the receiver between my fingers it started working lolz :hehe: Then the battery plug on the power switch fell off :D I replaced it with a REVO power switch that has the charge port... much better anyway!

During the first tank it would run 15' then die starving for fuel. I had to back out the LSN 6 to 7 turns just to keep it running... this aint at all right :hehe:

On the second tank the spring that centers the wheel on the transmitter broke, making it hard to control, so I ceased the breakin procedure :\ e-mailed dave@ofna he said "send us the radio and I'll send you another".

Honestly it's junk not worth the postage. So I just replaced it with a new Flysky GT3B.

So today I was all set to finish the breakin (traxxas method). So I'm on the 3rd tank 1/2 throttle 3 seconds, engine still starving so I back out the LSN even more. It helped a little but it just wouldn't keep delivering enough fuel to keep it running. Replaced fuel lines same issue :\ It's got to be the tank. Rigged and zipp tied in a T-Maxx tank, reset both needles to factory settings... BINGO got through breakin running and idling great :)

Messed with the OFNA tank pushing compressed air through all the orifices. The lid is sealed fine no leaks and pops open with enough air pressure. Sucking through the fuel inlet hose it's hard to draw any air. Reinstalled (left the carb alone) sure enough it starves and shuts down during acceleration :\ A new tank from e-bay is only $10... but this LX2 new out of the box RTR has cost me around $85 extra (not counting the hassle or the hump pack)

You'd think the darn thing would at least make it through breakin :chinese:
Wish I'd of just bought a kit instead of this RTR :doh:

My week old new parts graveyard
(tried to fix the radios wheel spring, no go broken plastic part)

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

Wow. Ummm bad luck? In any event, always better to get the kit and build yourself. OR disassemble an RTR and rebuild.

So.......with the exception of the fuel tank just the rtr electronics are crap?...I've never really ever had a problem with my ofna buggys ,...there is most likely a tiny piece of plastic in the fuel nipple on the tank

Yeah, outside of standard RTR electronics crap which I've had to replace in every RTR I've ever bought regardless of brand the 3 OFNA buggies I've owned were pretty nice kits considering the price of them. Sounds like you just had some bad luck. Sucks all the same though.