Blew up my bearings!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver6127

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, today I decided to tear down my S710 completely and rebuild the clutch on the Mugen X12 as well. Everything was going well till I got to the clutch. I pulled off the clutch bell and a whole lot of little metal balls came out. I blew up the 10x5 bearing in the clutch! AAAAAAAACK!

x12_001.gif

Lesson to be learned? Check, clean and lube your bearings regularly. I was just excited to race her at BARCAR last weekend and run some hotlaps at Floyd Bennet Field with Buncrana, I completely forgot to check the clutch and it's components.

ouch should be fun :)

i just noticed all of us are from nyc lol random

Last edited:
Nah, just a regular metal sheilded bearing. Check your centax as well, Tom.

Diver6127 said:
Nah, just a regular metal sheilded bearing. Check your centax as well, Tom.

poop, even I knew to do that. :hammer: :spit:

FastEddy said:
Isnt that what there supposed to look like? :p:

Sure, if you completely bust em apart or do what Diver did and forget em for 2 seasons. :smoke:

FastEddy said:
Isnt that what there supposed to look like? :p:
Of course! After hitting it with a sledge hemmer a few dozen times!
Buncrana said:
poop, even I knew to do that.
Ok, then always check your throttle/break servo horn screw! :boxing:

Buncrana said:
Sure, if you completely bust em apart or do what Diver did and forget em for 2 seasons. :smoke:
Ahem .... AHEM ... it was only 6 months in storage.

Glad u checked before u race it again at Edison. Maybe u might finish a MAin race. lol

Yeah, that's for sure! Actually, I started to notice something wrong with the clutch engagement during the first few minutes of the B-main. I think it would've held up for the rest of the main if I didn't break my rear suspension. I think I did the ultimate damage at Floyd Bennet Field. I noticed my temps were higher than Edison. I never even touched the needles and it was colder but temps were 30 degrees higher. Oh well, In goes the Novarossi NS12 for now! I keep that engine as a backup with the centax all shimmed and ready to go. That way, if I have an issue with one engine, I just have to swap it in, retune a little and I'm ready to go.

www.avidrc.com i just got in my shipment of clutchbearings for the season. $1 a piece gotta buy 20 though. i have 4-5 cars that use them though so I'm sure they will get used up.

Thanks for the link! I'll be making some orders. I know that racing will put a lot of wear and tear on the bearings and between my brother and I, we'll use em up.

mcmaster carr has double sheilded miniature ABEC-5 bearings available. These are rated at 60k rpm's and 96lbs load capacity. i would use these for clutch assemblies due to the high speed rpm's produced by nitro engines.

The part number for 5mm x 10mm x 4mm is 7804K106 at a cost of $7 each.

hmm, well the bearings i offered that cost 7x less are abec 3/5 rated and consistantly last 2 gallons or more, id change them for piece of mind at that point. not trying to flame ya or anything, just a matter of performance for your $. for the cost of 2 bearings at McMaster Carr, i could change my bearings 7 times, even cheapos changed 7 times will outlast the best bearings out there. and these arent even cheapos.

sl0eg1n and I were talking about that last night. He showed me the difference with our roller blades. My old blades have ABEC 1, his have ABEC 5. Smooth, and spun forever! ABEC 3/5 is good "Bang for buck" and I will get a package of 20 just for that very reason. Out of curiosity, I will get the ABEC 5's from McMaster Carr.

Corrado do you know if they have a set of bearings for specific RCs...like the MBX5 ad the XB8??? I hate sites that aren't clearly laid out for impatient people like myself.....that's one of the reasons I like this site...simple layout and you get exactly what you're lookin for......

Diver...remember when you go to a Higher rated bearing you sacrifice endurance for the speed...I guess you do the road racing mostly so it won't affect you as much as us potato growers......but just keep it in mind.....ABEC-3 is probably the best cobination of endurance and performance in any bearing.....or if you're really Psycho about it, I know some companies make ABEC-13 rated bearings for speed skates.....I'm sure you could get em for RCs but one wreck and they'll explode I'm sure....

plaid, you have to order them all seperately from that site. its one of the ways dave keeps cost down. for the xb8 i just ordered the 5x10x4's for the clutch and the 16x8x5 for the driveline, i dont see the steering bearings going out anytime soon.

Cool...thanks for the info...I need to get some pit box stuff and bearings are now at the top of the list.....