Biggest battery possible for Traxxas Slash?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Slash

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
  4. Boating
So my traxxas slash is finially going brushless with a hobbywing kit and a monster conversion and I want to make the power insane and have a 60+ mph car. But I also want to run lipos in it. What is the biggest lipo I can have without blowing it. I am also willing to modify the battery box.

So my traxxas slash is finially going brushless with a hobbywing kit and a monster conversion and I want to make the power insane and have a 60+ mph car. But I also want to run lipos in it. What is the biggest lipo I can have without blowing it. I am also willing to modify the battery box.
As Tunedpipe said, look through your manual. If you have yet to get your hands on your ESC you can find the manual online. I generally have read the manual or at least looked at the pictures for anything I buy a couple times while waiting for it to arrive. That is one thing over the years that has seen vast improvements in this hobby. The manuals for just about everything are easy to find.

Last edited:
The esc I will be using says 11.5 volts max 3s. The 4s is like 14v. How much can you overvolt before killing it? Another possibility is I buy the good hobbyking motor and I could use a crappy sensorless esc for 30$ so I could blow the thing and replace It for 30$ instead of 100$.

I don't understand why you would want to take that chance. It really isn't a matter of how much you can overvolt it, it's a matter of, if you overvolt it you will burn it up. If you want the top possible speed you can with your Slash then experiment with your gears. A pinion gear set is a lot cheaper than 2 or 3 $30 ESCs.

The esc I will be using says 11.5 volts max 3s. The 4s is like 14v. How much can you overvolt before killing it? Another possibility is I buy the good hobbyking motor and I could use a crappy sensorless esc for 30$ so I could blow the thing and replace It for 30$ instead of 100$.
Don't go over what the manufacturer says the max is.

You really have to watch your temps though. Higher toothed pinion is going to raise temps, so like I said, experiment with it and find out what it likes.
4s will definitely make it fast. Also keep in mind, the more juice you pump to her the more parts are going to break and if it was a RTR they will break sooner than you think. Be prepared to upgrade other stuff as well. Post some pics of her journey..;)

Welcome to brushless, you are now hooked... :D

Last edited:
I will run It on 2s or 3s for regular driving. 4s for speed runs
If your going to run it on 4s... even time to time.. its 2w or 4w.. either way you might want to look into the CVDs to take the tourqe of the brushless set up man.. and harden steel gears.. and good set of bearings..and like "PIPE" said above with more power speed and tourqe comes more broken Parts.. just keep that in mind. All you got to do is tap something at 60mph and there goes your a arms..and what not.. LOL it will definitely be worth it though 👍👍

Back