Big rock first run

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ran first 2s pack through the new big rock. As of now i like the rival mt10 better. The big rock has alot of chassie roll and is tippy, does not handle nearly as good. The mt10 just flat out goes, i feel it is a better design and just works better. We will see as time goes on i guess

Before i even did a first run , i installed hot racing shock bodies. Due to the oem shocks leaking right out of the box.i have the spring compression maxed out and there is alot of body roll. I feel like the rival mt10 is better built with better componets(minus the electronics)

Had a warm up in the north east today. Ran a 2s through the mt10 and the big rock. Then ran a 3s in the big rock, was a ton of fun but hard to control. Lots of power lol. Truck did do better once i tightened the preload on the springs all the way with the hot racing shock bodies. Good thing it was warm today as the big rock took a good tumble on 3s. Good 10ft long cartwheel into my picket fence. Nothing broke to my suprise. Kids had a blast

Attachments

• IMG_20220306_144635001.jpg
    IMG_20220306_144635001.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 11061.jpeg
    11061.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 55
Had a warm up in the north east today. Ran a 2s through the mt10 and the big rock. Then ran a 3s in the big rock, was a ton of fun but hard to control. Lots of power lol. Truck did do better once i tightened the preload on the springs all the way with the hot racing shock bodies. Good thing it was warm today as the big rock took a good tumble on 3s. Good 10ft long cartwheel into my picket fence. Nothing broke to my suprise. Kids had a blast
You will learn throttle control. Going into a corner with these cars requires feathering the throttle a bit. Especially considering the scale speed of these beasts is like a gazillion mph. It's amazing they do as well as they do 😉

You would think the mt10 would handle worse as it is quite a bit smaller. But that little thing just plants its self and goes. Sway bars do help i assume.

You would think the mt10 would handle worse as it is quite a bit smaller. But that little thing just plants its self and goes. Sway bars do help i assume.
It's just the difference in style of trucks. The MT10 is an all around basher. The Big Rock is made for hitting a ramp and maneuvering in the air. I wouldn't put sway bars on it, but if you want to drive it more like a basher, then yeah, sway bars might help it. Or you could lower the pre-load back down and put stiffer springs and heavier weight oil in the shocks to help it corner a bit better.

That, and it looks like you are driving in grass. Find some dirt to play in and see what ya think.

There is no dirt here currently only mud or grass. Wont be mid june before things dry up here

So i tore the big rock down, filled the diffs with 10k oil. Both were about 1/4full. Lock tighted the motor and the axle stubs. Currently into the mt10 and the arrma is hands down far easyer to work on. Every thing is bigger, and more simple to get apart and off. The mt10 has alot more bolts to remove and every thing is scaled down in size. There is no much oil in the mt10 diffs aswell

So tore the big rock down again to put 30k in front diff and 20k in rear. The rear diff is giving me some clicking/binding issues. After tearing it apart twice and wasting fluid, i couldnt find any thing wrong. Only thing that i can think of is tolerance issues due to it being a plastic diff.. while i can see the big rock being durable, the more i run it and tinker on it the more i feel like they cheaped out on alot of things. The plastic pivot balls are sloppy, the plastic diffs are chinsy although they are huge, the front hubs are sloppy along with the turnbuckles. To make it on par with the ae mt10 id have to put almost 200 bucks into the bigrock.