big joes or trenchers for a big block revo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausher

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Sold some stuff on ebay so I'll have $$ on my PayPal account. What will work better and balloon up less? Id like beadlocks rims too, but I dunno if i can afford that for around $100.... if anyone knows any deals to get the tires and a set of beadlocks lemme know. Id like rims in 14mm hex so I don't have to get adapters for 17mm...

Last edited:
Just an FYI, BB's burn 14mm hex's pretty quick. I never had issues until I got an LRP28 in my aftershock. Up until then, I had a bb max, couple savages, bb revo, aftershock... all running alloy 14mm hubs for years. Then I put an lrp in my aftershock and made it through breakin but started frying hex's shortly thereafter and upgraded to 17mm. Now I run 17mm on pretty much any MT I run as I run LRP's in all of them. :)

Go for the 17mm hubs way better selection of wheels and I havent stripped a set yet
As for tyres I have been using trencher x on 2 of my maxxs and while they ballon a little bit they hook up great on most surfaces

I will say Trenchers and as was said above go with at least 17mm hexes. I have the Big Joes and they are driveshaft snappers. You get too much traction....I kept breaking the drive line out of my Savage when I had them on there.

Will these hpi 17mm hex and nuts fit a revo?
$(KGrHqEOKikE3C3GbS7KBN0BCsLEU!~~_3.jpg

I like to use something like this vs. The aluminum hex adapters. Looks more durable with less chance of developing slop.

Can't find them anywhere... well I'm going to order the trencher x's and axial beadlocks from a main hobbies and will get some 17mm adapters too. Don't know which ones since no one has those hpi ones... are the flanged nuts the same in my pic and your link? If so I'll get them and find some 17mm hexes that will fit the revo...

Maybe I'll just get the Traxxas ones. I think I'm making this more difficult than what it needs to be. The hpi ones look like they will give me less problems....

Last edited:
The nuts are the same for both, it's only the hex that differs.

If I ever lost one, I'd probably just get these:
http://www.maximizerproducts.com/modules/store/1-8-Scale-to-Maxx-Adaptor-Kit_P67025.cfm

Then you use standard wheel nuts.
They also have a composite set that are cheap:
http://www.maximizerproducts.com/modules/store/Composite-17mm-adaptor-for-Revo-Maxx_P67028.cfm

I have the traxxas ones as spares in a pinch, but I hate running them as they get wobbly really fast. I have an old set and a brand new set...

Now the composite ones I can afford!:D thanks! I only got about $150 to work with. The rims and tires are about 130 and I found a free shipping code.

Running a BB with trenchers... I'd get aluminum. If you were running a 3.3 with standard/truggy tires, then you'd probably be ok, but I could see the composite ones not holding up really well.

Then again, I could be wrong. Buddy of mine has composite losi 20mm adapters on his savage (he really liked muggy tires/wheels) and it worked fine... just kept melting spurs, so gave up and ran smaller 3.8" tires like I do.

Well I'll crunch some numbers and see what I can afford. I'll do more research on eBay.;)

There's couple other items I need to get also.

i run the trx 17mm hubs on 5 rigs and havent had a problem with them,for the price they are good and easy to get a hold of
if they develop any slop you can wrap some thread tape around the threaded part of the driveshaft
i'm sure i got mine off ebay for bout $20 to au
as for wheels and tyres trencher x and 1/2 in desperados are the bomb,they look cool and hook up great i run 2 sets ,one on a bb maxx with little balloning,havent had an issue with this combo and these things get driven hard

Think I'll try the.composite ones. Id rather have a hex fail than a rim break.

Think I'll try the.composite ones. Id rather have a hex fail than a rim break.

If your hex fails, it destroy the wheel 99% of the time. Make sure your wheel nuts are tight, majority of stripped hexes come from a wheel coming loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Upgrade to 8mm stub axles and then you will have tons of quality options for adapters.

Oooh yea! Much better!
2013-01-18_23-45-34_104.gif

Trencher X's
Much wider

2013-01-19_00-40-08_126.gif
puppy chewed up my pre filter!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Quite the size difference
2013-01-18_23-54-02_646.gif

I don't like the plastic washers that came with the 17mm Maximizer hex adapters so I'll find some steel washers to use.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know why they did that. That's why a sought out the esavage 17mm hubs/nuts instead. I mean really , cost wise, why not include steel washers.

I have been thinkin about the trencher x lately,anyone ever run them on hardpack?

transmited from a mobile communications device

So I was testing them out.on the street and I have no top end. Plenty of low end torque. Easily flips backwards upon acceleration. Wot it doesn't seems like 1/2 throttle. Can't tell if it is going in 2nd gear. Will these bigger tires cause such a dramatic change in.performance? Figure the big block would hardly notice a difference in the.bigger tires....

Back