Big block swap - What is possible?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ltskitzo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently running a Vx.18 in my HSP all alloy (almost) build. I want to get a bit more power/speed, due to the gearbox design I can't simply add a dual clutch/gearing. So I was wondering if I could swap in a .21 or bigger engine without too much issue? Do I need a special mount convertor? And could I use my old engine Carb, which is rotary? I've noticed most blocks of .21 or bigger use the push pull design carbs.

Which model do you have?

It will not be a quick drop in and go type conversion.

I may have everything needed on hand and wlll gladly help you thru it

Upgrading to plastic arms will help a little due to the weight savings.

Upgrading to plastic arms will help a little due to the weight savings.
I only just went aloy, I bash the crap out of this thing at my local skate park and various other rough terrain areas. I need the rigidity that metal provides

I only just went aloy, I bash the crap out of this thing at my local skate park and various other rough terrain areas. I need the rigidity that metal provides
But the metal will bend...

You don't have room for a proper big block. The block is 3/4" or so longer from end to end. It's also wider.

This is an old omega 21 sized engine next to an OS 18 CV-R(X):
2005-0730-Omega21byOS18cvr.jpg

I tried doing this with a volcano.

Nope.

You don't have room for a proper big block. The block is 3/4" or so longer from end to end. It's also wider.

This is an old omega 21 sized engine next to an OS 18 CV-R(X):
2005-0730-Omega21byOS18cvr.jpg
Ah ok! Well at least I know now. Thank you for your reply. It was really helpful.

Back