big block pipes THS 146 good

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronheadrick

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
the THS 146 is it a good big block pipe like for the lrp 32x spec 4

You would want the THS 146B specifically. Not sure how well it would do with that engine. Works ok with my LRP28S3, but I don't use their header as intended due to using a new era leaner type mount that raises/tilts the engine. If I kept the header is it was, it sticks way up in the air all weird, so I cut it in half and use a coupler for it. Originally, I used a hacked up LST2 header, but after bending it enough to fit, it kind of smashed it down and didn't flow very well, so I decided to hack up the THS header since I had no other use for it. I used half of the THS header and the other half that connects to the engine was the LST2 piece.

Now it sits pretty low and flat so I don't have to jack up the body mounts to fit a pipe under it:
2019-0128-RevoBB-ModifiedHeaderSide.jpg

2019-0128-RevoBB-ModifiedHeaderTop.jpg

You may be better off figuring out a side pipe though if you can't find that one. I used to run an LST2 pipe with a lengthened (again, cut and added a coupler) to run a side pipe. Not as nice looking, but opens you up for more choices.

Top down:
2012-0108-RevoTopBodyOff.jpg

With a body and different pipe:
2010-0710-RevoBBSidePipeClearance.jpg

The front mount I made out of 1/4" steel rod stock:
2012-0108-RevoExhaustMount.jpg

If your using a traxxas BB kit (which I'm not sure fits that engine with a PS on it), the layout would be different and the engine would be a lot lower, so the THS pipe/header would likely work better without modifying it.

If you notice, I also jacked up the new era 3 point roll bar to raise it up 3/4" or so and I cut a couple fins off the top of the LRP cooling head. This made the engine short enough so that when I land on the roof, the roll bar/wing hit the ground before the engine. Was a necessary sacrifice to avoid messing up the engine or engine mount/cradle in a bad crash.

I have a big block header for the lrp and my 146 pipe will fit on it perfectly

You would want the THS 146B specifically. Not sure how well it would do with that engine. Works ok with my LRP28S3, but I don't use their header as intended due to using a new era leaner type mount that raises/tilts the engine. If I kept the header is it was, it sticks way up in the air all weird, so I cut it in half and use a coupler for it. Originally, I used a hacked up LST2 header, but after bending it enough to fit, it kind of smashed it down and didn't flow very well, so I decided to hack up the THS header since I had no other use for it. I used half of the THS header and the other half that connects to the engine was the LST2 piece.

Now it sits pretty low and flat so I don't have to jack up the body mounts to fit a pipe under it:
2019-0128-RevoBB-ModifiedHeaderSide.jpg

2019-0128-RevoBB-ModifiedHeaderTop.jpg

You may be better off figuring out a side pipe though if you can't find that one. I used to run an LST2 pipe with a lengthened (again, cut and added a coupler) to run a side pipe. Not as nice looking, but opens you up for more choices.

Top down:
2012-0108-RevoTopBodyOff.jpg

With a body and different pipe:
2010-0710-RevoBBSidePipeClearance.jpg

The front mount I made out of 1/4" steel rod stock:
2012-0108-RevoExhaustMount.jpg

If your using a traxxas BB kit (which I'm not sure fits that engine with a PS on it), the layout would be different and the engine would be a lot lower, so the THS pipe/header would likely work better without modifying it.

If you notice, I also jacked up the new era 3 point roll bar to raise it up 3/4" or so and I cut a couple fins off the top of the LRP cooling head. This made the engine short enough so that when I land on the roof, the roll bar/wing hit the ground before the engine. Was a necessary sacrifice to avoid messing up the engine or engine mount/cradle in a bad crash.
How do you like that lrp engine this is my first lrp engine I hope it has the power I am expecting

How do you like that lrp engine this is my first lrp engine I hope it has the power I am expecting
I admittedly suck at tuning, even after 20 years of nitro, but I get the engines running ok for the most part. I have yet to wear an LRP28S3 out. I've had 4 of them. The longest running one had over 9 gallons through it from my aftershock/lst. I sold the truck, then ended up selling the engine as well. I have no clue how much fuel is through the one in my revo.

One thing of note is that I did have an LRP30S2 in a savage X. I ran an LST2 pipe on it for a while. I had an LRP28S3 in it with an LST2 pipe, but it was giving me tuning issues I couldn't sort out, so after trying a new carb, I got the LRP30S2 thinking something weird was wrong with it with the 28. Pretty sure the issue was a fuel tank/air leak I had with a buggy tank I had on the thing. The 30 though didn't run well with the LST2 pipe. I put the HPI polished pipe on it (a lot more free flowing) and it ran way better.

So, with that in mind, I'm not sure a THS big block revo pipe will flow enough for the 32 your going with. You may be forced to go with a more open side pipe setup.

The HPI pipe was a lot louder as well, which is why I quit running it in the first place. The noise got on my nerves and had a tendency to irritate people more when I ran at local parks.

I admittedly suck at tuning, even after 20 years of nitro, but I get the engines running ok for the most part. I have yet to wear an LRP28S3 out. I've had 4 of them. The longest running one had over 9 gallons through it from my aftershock/lst. I sold the truck, then ended up selling the engine as well. I have no clue how much fuel is through the one in my revo.

One thing of note is that I did have an LRP30S2 in a savage X. I ran an LST2 pipe on it for a while. I had an LRP28S3 in it with an LST2 pipe, but it was giving me tuning issues I couldn't sort out, so after trying a new carb, I got the LRP30S2 thinking something weird was wrong with it with the 28. Pretty sure the issue was a fuel tank/air leak I had with a buggy tank I had on the thing. The 30 though didn't run well with the LST2 pipe. I put the HPI polished pipe on it (a lot more free flowing) and it ran way better.

So, with that in mind, I'm not sure a THS big block revo pipe will flow enough for the 32 your going with. You may be forced to go with a more open side pipe setup.

The HPI pipe was a lot louder as well, which is why I quit running it in the first place. The noise got on my nerves and had a tendency to irritate people more when I ran at local parks.
Even with the big block header I have it won't help the pipe breath

Even with the big block header I have it won't help the pipe breath
The THS 146B comes with a BB header, but still, the pipe isn't that big and it's relatively quiet, so I'm assuming it's going to be a bit restrictive for the 32. If you have it already, it's worth trying, maybe it will be fine.

If I get a few minutes, I'll dig in my engine box to find the LST2 pipe to compare it to the THS 146B pipe on my revo to see how the overall size and output stinger ID compares. I don't have the HPI Polished pipe anymore to compare it, I sold it with the savage a while back.

This is a horrible photo, the top pipe is the HPI polished. I had cut the stinger off a bit because it was too long for the truck I had it on and was hitting the ground... the black pipe is the LST2 pipe, of which you can't see the stinger on, but it was quite a bit smaller ID than the HPI pipe. The HPI pipe's taper coming into the pipe was more abrupt and tapered at the end. The LST2 pipe had a longer intake taper and was bulbous at the end. Not to mention the internal holes/baffling I never looked it was likely different.
2010-0220-PipesStackedOnSavage.jpg

The second pipe from the top was a deanodized LST1 pipe, which was tuned more for bottom end than the LST2 pipe, but the stinger ID was similar to the LST2 pipe. It was a bit fatter and tapered different on both the intake and the end.

The THS 146B comes with a BB header, but still, the pipe isn't that big and it's relatively quiet, so I'm assuming it's going to be a bit restrictive for the 32. If you have it already, it's worth trying, maybe it will be fine.

If I get a few minutes, I'll dig in my engine box to find the LST2 pipe to compare it to the THS 146B pipe on my revo to see how the overall size and output stinger ID compares. I don't have the HPI Polished pipe anymore to compare it, I sold it with the savage a while back.

This is a horrible photo, the top pipe is the HPI polished. I had cut the stinger off a bit because it was too long for the truck I had it on and was hitting the ground... the black pipe is the LST2 pipe, of which you can't see the stinger on, but it was quite a bit smaller ID than the HPI pipe. The HPI pipe's taper coming into the pipe was more abrupt and tapered at the end. The LST2 pipe had a longer intake taper and was bulbous at the end. Not to mention the internal holes/baffling I never looked it was likely different.
2010-0220-PipesStackedOnSavage.jpg

The second pipe from the top was a deanodized LST1 pipe, which was tuned more for bottom end than the LST2 pipe, but the stinger ID was similar to the LST2 pipe. It was a bit fatter and tapered different on both the intake and the end.
I got my lrp zr32x spec 4 yesterday and she is mounted on my revo and everything is working and ready to start I am just waiting for some warmer days

All the LRP's I broke in like to be warmed up to at least 90F to start easily. Anything below 70F and they were a pain to get going.

I have a heat gun ,you can get one from Home depo or a Harbor freight type place ,heat the block around the
bottom of the head!....:thumbs-up: