Best way to stop overheating on Stampede 4x4 VXL?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LikeTheSandwich

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I have a Stampede 4x4 VXL, with several metal upgrades. I got it in a trade. Mip axles, aluminum hubs, metal swing arms. When I run it on road with 3S it seems to do fine, but when I'm running in dirt/grass for a few minutes I hit thermal shut down very fast. I know I could get a smaller pinion gear, or I could switch to 2S when I'm in grass, but are there better ways? It already has ESC and motor fans. Should I stick a 120mm PC fan in there too? Lol. I don't really want to spend the money to upgrade the ESC and/or motor. I talked to the guy I got the RC from and he recommended lowering the gearing and using 2S, and only doing 3S for occasional fun runs. What do you all think?

I think that the 2 best ways are the two ways listed here. Otherwise you're looking at changing some part of the electronics.

Should I really do both though? Or should I start with just doing one, and see if that's enough?

you could start by upgrading the stock fans that come in the VXL systems. The stock esc and motor fans don't really move to much air to keep them cooler. The pc fan will definitely work but it will take up alot of room.and would probably
need custom mounting made for it. And with the added weight from the upgrades better fans would help alot

Traxxas need to put more time, development and design into there electronics. But that's my opinion. I've had traxxas car/trucks for 25+ yr. that's always the first thing I upgrade is the electronics

Can you recommend a brand to look for, or should I just go to my local hobby shop and see what they have? I'm not afraid of the challenge of custom mounting a PC fan though if you think that could be a good option. They're huge, but they sure would move a lot of air. Might start with that for the fun of figuring the mounting out.

If you have a pc fan laying around GO for it. I love building one off upgrades/builds. It's more interesting that way. HR, rocket, pro tech, integy the are all the same to me you will want to look at the rpms the fans put out. More the better and with the placement of them not to close not to far away. And best for air flow. You could drill little hole in the front window of body to allow for more air flow as well.

1622391669449759976422877385478.jpg

One on left drilles holes
One on right cut out windshield and used cabinet liner. Just don't tell my wife I took her liner lmao🤣🤣

I'm looking at the new rocket fan, or the pro tech aluminum casing fans for my Xmaxx so I don't run into that problem. Cuz everyone says the xmaxx8s over heats but I haven't had it do it yet . But I also know that the stock fans such lol my opinion

Cool thanks. As a side note, I think I'm going to make a very interesting one-off build sometime. I have a motor I took from a drill, and it has its own ESC in the trigger. I'm thinking I'll just get a receiver and add an extra servo to actuate the trigger, and use a couple of relays and a 3rd channel for reverse. I'll probably have to get something programmable though to make it work.

That would be cool to see and run I'm sure. I'm building a tmaxx/emaxx right now I put a revo 2.0 tranns in a maxx chassis. Looking into motors and esc now matter fact. I like building them thats how it used to be none of this RTR. They cane in kits you had to build.

No worries bud it's a blast and very addictive lol I love the hobby I got 8 different car/truck from 1/16 up to the new Xmaxx8s. But always thinking of the kraton8s. I'm just not a big fan of their aluminum chassis. Cuz I'm sure I will send it and bend it lol

No worries bud it's a blast and very addictive lol I love the hobby I got 8 different car/truck from 1/16 up to the new Xmaxx8s. But always thinking of the kraton8s. I'm just not a big fan of their aluminum chassis. Cuz I'm sure I will send it and bend it lol
You could always reinforce it with some steel underplating. Might have to use a smaller pinion gear for the extra weight though,

That is a good idea 💡👌 nice thanks man. I love the xmaxx but now that I have a 1/5 j want another lol that's what happens and on and on it goes

Dude I have a go kart, like I fit on it (although barely), and I'm genuinely thinking of getting a receiver and a large servo and making it RC. But I'm scared of having a 200-lb RC car, that I'll damage something.

PC fan in and of itself isnt going to fix the issue. Fans are nice but they put in most of their work when the kit stops moving. Id trying gearing down first, then going to 2S if you can't gear down low enough. Going 2S you may even be able to gear back up a bit afterward if motor is running cool.

Back