Best Way of cutting out a body.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayhem

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What is the BEST wat to cut out a body? With a razor by hand then go over it was a dremel to smooth is out? Please I want the best results and I need you guys to help me out. Thanks alot I know I asked this before but I want to be perfectly clear.

Mayhem:cheers:

The best way is to get a lexon cutter from your LHS and use a sanding drum on your roto tool to smooth it oit a bit.

Thanks

a dremel with cut off disc and a sanding drum, leaves real nice edges. Then I finish it up by hand sanding the cut edges nice and smooth.

The high speed bits work well for window cutouts and body post holes. Just be carefully you don't melt the lexon.

I like the sanding drum for taking down the edges and rounding corners after trimming. The drum seems essayer to guide on long straight edges and the high speed bits for precise detail work and tight inside corners.

Good point Eddy, I should've added that you want to cut on a low setting, I figured this out quick when cutting. After I nailed the setting, I could cut out and finish the edge at the same time.

What, no one uses lexan scissors anymore... Them little cut off wheels are dangerous... I have fragments of those little bastards stuck in the ceiling of my hobby room...lol
Eye protection.... Highly recommended...

LOL @ ImBroken. The wire wheels are even worse, they are recomended for a low rpm. I cranked one up once and the wire came off like porcupine spikes!.

Originally posted by ImBroken
What, no one uses lexan scissors anymore... Them little cut off wheels are dangerous... I have fragments of those little bastards stuck in the ceiling of my hobby room...lol
Eye protection.... Highly recommended...
Man you are not kidding I was cutting a crank on a engine once in my garage and it was cold in there below freezing. Man I had about 5 of them suckers EXPLODE.. I use eye protecting anytime I run the dremel even the little wire brushes shot off the little pieces of wire that poop sucks when its a splinter...X

I was lucky enough to find a package of 5 diamond cut off discs for a dremel at a flea market in Asheville. I have been using the same one now for over a year and its still going strong. I wish he had more of them, I would have bought several packs.

Always wear eye protection!

X, those wire brushes are probably the most dangerous dremel bit I have used. Every on I have ever used has disintigrated on me throwing little bits of schrapnel everywhere.

I like pulling the metal bristles out of my face.

I only use cutoff wheels when absolutely necessary, I prize all 9 of my fingers.8-0

Try havin a 14" carbide chop saw blade explode in your face... Scary $#@%.... I got 3/4 of the way through a length of 4" steel pipe when it decided bow and catch the blade.... The only piece I found was embedded in the side of a customers garage wall.
YIKES!!!:eek:

I STILL USE SCISSORS!!!

But then I use my sanding drum to finish the edges....

http://mytoolstore.com/dremel/tungcrbi.html

#9932 - Tungstein Carbide bit! This is the KEY to it all right here. Mine is gold in appearance but the same thing.

I use Lexan scissors to make the EASY cuts, the Tungstein Carbide for EVERYTHING else, especially radical curvy cuts (4k-6k rpm's) and drums to finish off the whole thing.

Once you use one of those bits you will never go back.

Just my 2 cents.

161Escalade1-med.gif

WoW...nice mayhem. That yours? hehe=devil . I wanna see it after you get through a race or bashing. Then well see how pretty it is!
[move]-Kellen[/move]