Best starter 1/10 scale race buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
This goes out to all of the 1/10 scale buggy racers. Since I am starting out in racing what 1/10 scale buggy do you have or what do you recommend? 1. I don't know if I want 2wd or 4wd. 2. Brands. TLR, Tekno, Associated, xray. I had been looking at the TLR 22 5.0(2wd buggy) and the TLR 22x4 (4wd buggy) Also I will be racing on carpet. There is also the xray xb2/xb4. Associated has the b74.1 and the b6.3. They also have the RC10 which is a ready to run race buggy. I don't know how good it is cause most race buggy's are kits or rollers. 3. Note I am running on a carpet track. 4 what tires would you recommend? For my slash I have the Schumacher mini pins. I was also looking at short course trucks. But my LHS doesn't do short course anymore. 5. 17.5 or 13.5? What is the difference and which class would you recommend.

This won't be a good racer but this will be a good track/basher car. I also had been looking at the 1/16th scale losi mini b rtr or the losi mini t.

Yeah I agree with whats said about you should try visiting your local track and see what they running then go from there last thing you want is to purchase stuff that is banned or not allowed to be used on the track.

I just picked up a rc10b6.3 kit was a fun build pretty straight forward.

13.5 class is fun and sorta fast. 17.5 is like slow motion. All in the gearing for that one. 2wd is going to be frustrating if you’re new. That’s all about throttle control. 4wd is very forgiving and handle a lot better under power. Yz4 is my preferred reliable chassis. If racing locally it’s usually best to see what the shops are pushing and go with one of those. That way you always have access to parts and help.

Also don’t buy a rtr. You will learn nothing from that for repairing and working on it. I’d get a kit to build from scratch, 4wd with a 13.5 on 2s. Plus you will probably need to borrow or buy a transponder if racing.

I use a 2WD Kyosho RB7 (mostly cause it was the cheapest kit I could find, I think I got it for around $250) but It's been awesome. I'm running 100% Spektrum electronics (including battery) and I finished in third in the second qualifying round of a club race at my local carpet track but my transponder was coming unplugged so three of my laps got counted as one lap, so on the timing system I came in last :rolleyes: newb mistake for sure, and I didn't even make into the manes cause I broke a part that I didn't have a spare of so I was done for the day 🤦‍♂️ For tires I'm using Schumacher "Cut Stagger" in the front and Schumacher "Cactus" in the rear and they've been great. But I would just ask around your track and see what the fast guys are using. Anyways I know that probably didn't answer many of your questions but I felt like sharing 🤷‍♂️

Back