Best Servo For Drifting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBasher13

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2wd Slash that I’ve converted into the Proline street version and I was wondering if I needed a steering servo that rotates more than a standard off-road servo would rotate?

I have a 2wd Slash that I’ve converted into the Proline street version and I was wondering if I needed a steering servo that rotates more than a standard off-road servo would rotate?
Whats up bud. It's about how fast the servo turns. Not how far they rotate. There really isn't servos for on/off road. It's all about tourqe power and speed. When it comes to servos. And then it all depends on how much you really want to spend. You can get good servos off Amazon. And can spend up to hundreds in them... question are you trying to make the slash a drifter or just a road runner??

I never had a servo that didn't have enough angle to turn the wheels lock to lock. It does depend on the steering system design and the radio, but most servos will do 180 degrees where about 90 is needed.

So any decent servo should work, esp in a relatively light 2wd vehicle.

@RCBasher13 , technically you answered your own question, the farthest rotation you will get out of a servo is a half of a circle "180 degrees".
Standard servos so to speak are for the most part 180 degrees.

In order to get the extreme angles on traditional 2WD drifters is based on the geometry of the steering components, unfortunately a Slash just won't offer the same geometry without custom modification, it would be a lot easier to build a purpose designed drifter to get the desired results.

1691679667991.png

Any more servo angle will not give you a tighter circle very few rc have the steering stop block on the clods that we used to sandoff to allow steering hubs to swing more .slash does not no way to get a tighter circle from one

Whats up bud. It's about how fast the servo turns. Not how far they rotate. There really isn't servos for on/off road. It's all about tourqe power and speed. When it comes to servos. And then it all depends on how much you really want to spend. You can get good servos off Amazon. And can spend up to hundreds in them... question are you trying to make the slash a drifter or just a road runner??
I’m trying to make my slash more of a drifter and I’m just trying to get it to turn more, I now understand that all servos have a 180 degree rotation, but now I’m wondering how I can modify my whole steering system to turn more?

not all servos have the 180 degree sweep. servos have all sorts of sweep angles.

see servos from 90-120-180-240 360-

Last edited:
... how I can modify my whole steering system to turn more?

If I were to attempt this, I would drill holes closer to the spindles on the steering knuckles in similar fashion here:
1691706608241.png

There's no guarantee that the hub will allow the geometry to go farther without the wheel rubbing on other parts which may require additional modification, but this would be the starting point to get more steering throw. It's a slippery slope because sourcing SCT drift tires will be difficult, one option is to install 17mm hexes and install 1/8 drift tires like these which are made of hard plastic:
https://www.nitrorcx.com/mad-tk2013.html

1691706831958.png

Another option is to cut your own drift tires out of PVC like I did here:

Another option is to simply install 1/10 drift wheels on your Slash, doh!

1691706961159.png

modding turnbuckle will do nothing. will your hubs move more without servo connected? ill answer this for you no they wont.good luck with all the wrong mods.only way I can think of is getting shorter A arms..putting a hole in position said above will decrease servos torque amount at wheel.short shaft less torque.longer shaft more torque
I know in the traxxas brand one A arm is for 2 vehicles and I dont remember if the buggy is shorter or longer (something says longer )bandit buggy

Last edited:
I’m trying to make my slash more of a drifter and I’m just trying to get it to turn more, I now understand that all servos have a 180 degree rotation, but now I’m wondering how I can modify my whole steering system to turn more?
Well servos will turn more then 180°. Have you done any sort of other mods. To help convert the slash to a drifter. There's more to it then over turning the front wheels. Just wondering if you have done anything other then thinking of servos...

Bottom line, almost any servo will do for... whatever you're building there.