Best Method to Remove Anodizing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrotrout

Nitro Junkie
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I know this question has been asked a million times but, I'd like some ideas you all have to remove anodizing.
There's a certain oven cleaner that comes in a yellow can with a yellow cap, and it's called Lightning something or other, I can't remember.
But I've heard that stuff is quite effective. Problem is, I can't find it in my local stores thus far. Any other suggestions?

You can apply heat that will slowly burn off the anodizing. Easyoff oven cleaner works best. I have used the el cheapo stuff just takes longer. You have to leave it soak in the cheap oven cleaner longer!

EZ off produces some nasty fumes and can pit the aluminum really easy. Undiluted greased lightning is much better IMHO, and I've done it indoors, fumes aren't an issue.

True that almost fumed myself to death with the oven cleaner once! Forgot about grease lightning it does work great.:D

You guys are rock stars! Thanks! That's the stuff I was thinking of..Greased Lightning.

I have an industrial style heat gun, I'll try that.
I think the wife has some EZoff in the household somewhere, I'll try that too.
I'll let the parts soak outdoors over night so fumes wont be an issue.

If I do need Greased Lightning where can I find it? Is it an aerosol can or something else?

If you leave it overnight, you won't have any parts left. You need check the parts every 5 minutes or so, and an old stiff bristled toothbrush helps for any stubborn spots like threads on shock bodies and such. Greased lightning is a liquid and comes in a spray bottle much like windex, and can usually be found at any grocery or department store.

The all good info!

What about re-anodizing to a different colour? For example removing the red and replacing it with orange.

There are usually local shops that specialize in that. You might want to try a local search on Google.

Here's an old thread in the how to section. I had very good results wit the greased lightning but it seems that some others didn't. Make sure you buy the right stuff!

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43668

I have also had good luck using easy off but make sure your outside and wear gloves at least, eye protection would be a good idea too in case the wind is blowing. Like HPIguy mentioned check your parts often, if you let them soak in easy off too long they will pit!

Last edited:
My best I've done is with the easy off.

IMG_0186.jpg

I’ve tried it all. EZ off (yellow cap) or if you can find it I prefer Quality Care HD grill cleaner from Ace Hardware, works even better than ez off especially on hardcoat.

Huge thanks to all you guys. I'll try to find the heavy duty Greased Lightning
stuff but here in California it might not be available with our strict VOC regulations.
At least I have alternatives if I can't locate it.

SMaxxin thanks for digging up that old thread. I think that's gonna help a lot of people besides me procedure wise. Never occurred to me to hang the parts..duh

Thanks for the help buddies, you all saved my bacon. Easy Off Heavy Duty (in the yellow can) worked great.
No soaking, instantly stripped off with ease, scrubbing lightly with an old toothbrush and rinsing. Two applications was all that was needed.
Easy Off also removed the chrome plating from some old rims I have. No damage to the plastic whatsoever.

Now I'm doing the suck ass part...sanding out the etching marks and polishing.
641-2.gif

Back